• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 98VHP

Dave,

I have had some customer complaints on that one. Not purchased at my store. Swr is critical and keeping the radio cool as well. The Mosfests tend to get very hot so I am told. For now I think that a 95T2 might be a better choice. Less power but more reliable. A Ranger 2970DX or 6900f150 might also fit the bill.

For AM/FM I have heard of a few problems with the 4300 300. The driver transistor is blowing under proper load and good swrs. Again I am told that keeping it cool with low swrs is critical.

Ray from Galaxy is recommending at least a 50 amp power supply to one of my customers.

The new Ranger radio with all the letters and numbers also uses 8 mosfets.

Here's my little review of this rig:

I like my 98VHP alot, & it's fun! :D I picked it up from Bob when I was in his neighborhood in PA, and had it "Bobtized" while I was there. Nothing but excellent reports, of 1st class sounding audio, when I'm on it. "Loud" is an understatement!
The radio gets a little warm on AM, as mentioned above, but not so hot that you can't touch it. There's built in fans to help keep things fairly cool, but I would'nt ratchet jaw on it too much for anything over 10-15 minutes at a time, at full tilt on AM.

SSB is another story though, & I've talked for several hours on it with no heat issues.

Hope this helps give you a better idea of this radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.