• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 45MP recieve noise cure

boomer111

May 7, 2005
I read awhile back a mod to help lower the noise level. Had to do with unhooking the antenna and backing down a reciever alinement pot ( ? ) .I did the mode and it helped. I lost my notes and can't remember the pot number. I think it was DTB that wrote the thread, but can't be sure. Any help will be appreciated.

Symptoms:
1. Several S-Units of noise on meter even on quiet nights.
2. Large jump in S-Meter signal when driving under power lines or sodium lights.
3. RF Gain fully counter clockwise causes receiver static. (big one)

You will mainly notice these symptoms when connected to an outside antenna and not a dummy load.

Cure:
L7 is not aligned correctly.

Recommendation:
Adjust L7 fully clockwise until the core bottoms out.
Then turn counter clockwise one full turn and stop.
Adjust L5, L6 and L8 as normal for max signal to noise.

Information Provided by GRTS.

Recieve mod

Northstar, this is the thread that had me trying to remember what I had done previously. In the previous mod I just backed off 1/2 turn just 1 pot. It reduced the noise by half or 6lbs. I didn't touch the other pots. I wanted to put the one pot back to where I found it and try the mod you posted.

Re: Recieve mod

boomer111 said:
Northstar, this is the thread that had me trying to remember what I had done previously. In the previous mod I just backed off 1/2 turn just 1 pot. It reduced the noise by half or 6lbs. I didn't touch the other pots. I wanted to put the one pot back to where I found it and try the mod you posted.

May I suggest that you take it to a reputable shop and have it aligned from scratch. They will find the problem. You really can't guess at those settings.

Done that already, by Justin

But this radio still exhibts the syptoms listed above. Buy turning the one pot down I lowered the noise level and still kept great recieve. With the amount of noise level I would give up some recieve cause you can't hear the faint signal anway thriugh the noise real well. I have almost 6 lbs of noise on the quietist days on any band. Those lights and Cal Trans lane signs really spike up to 7 or 8 S units. Really a pain always having to reach and squelch. Before turning back the pot I had a constant 3 S units of noise at mininum.

It's an idea

Northstar, that's a good idea , if I can wait. You know Justin did the work. I wonder if this cure? came up afte he worked on the radio?

Well messed up L7 coil

Will Radio shack have a replacement? What is the value for L7? Help...Trying not to have to send it back to Justin.

Grts mod

This really limits the recieve. I lost 6 S units by trying this. And really didn't cut much noise level out either. Now I got to replace the L7 coil.

if you broke the slot for the tuning coil on L7 you can desolder the pot and the carbon tuning center has a slotted head on the opposite side.just turn it over and reinsert the center tuning piece and resolder the pot back in place.just trying to answer your question for what could be wrong since you just said it was broken.hope this helps.

Hate to admit

But I have a heavy hand with a solder gun. Radio will be shipped to FG Monday. Got the coil out but didn't find another slot and the bottom, yes I took the bottom out too. Wasn't real easy determining which pins to unsolder either. Oh well this is what happens when I get bored and want to tinker!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.