• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 93/99 vs. 959

Skyhawk

Nov 30, 2009
It's been eons, since I've been in CB, I was hoping
you big strappers, could bring me back up to speed.

Are the DX 90's somethings, better than the new 959
and if so, why is it ? I see the nineties have variable
power and heatsink with fans, what do they put out ?

What can a 959 put out >? Is Galaxy even the radio
to go with anymore ?

Allot of radio's with fans, you can hear them buzzing in the
speakers background. zzzzzzzzzzzyeah, ten four...zzzzzzzz.

Anyhow, what would be a macho kick butt CB, I guess variable
would be nice, price isn't a factor. What shall I get to be
macho, don't want it too complicated either, like the cockpit
of a Boeing 787 or Concorde'.... Thanks Bigstraps, in advance,
Sincerely, Skyhawk....

I think a radio isn't the essential partthat makes a big 'strappin' radio sound. I think the mic makes a heck of a difference. Like the Astatic D-104/silver Eagle. Nothing say 'strappin' like an Astatic Silver Eagle.

But I think I see your point. The radio that comes to my mind with a real 'punchy', loud audio would have to be the Magnum OmegaForce S45 or the Magnum S9. The both have what is called 'Top Gun' technology. 'Top Gun' is a modulator - or mic preamp/processor built into these radios that goes 'bang' when you talk. I have an OmegaForce; it is my main radio used most of the time on my base. I don't run an amp either; but every one in the San Jose area knows both me and my station. I get compliments all of the time for the way it sounds - like a commercial radio station. But it is the radio and mic combination. Oh yes; I have a D-104. I would say that between the two they make a great combination.

But Galaxy radios are great too. They don't have the 'Top Gun Modulator' in them; but they hold their own. I use a Galaxy in my mobile. Great receive and other features. Can't go wrong with that choice. One can buy a 'Top Gun Modulator' from Sparky's CB Shack for about $20 and put one in - if you know someone that works on radios. Could be a great combination. I might even do it to my Galaxy...

I hate those fans on the heatsinks of most CB's because they don't filter them and you can hear the whine in both the transmit and receive.

For the "big strapper" sound, an awful lot of people are just using Cobra 25s or 29s with the mosfet mods. They have quite a bit of forward swing, which I think is what you're looking for. That coupled with the right mic will serve you well.

The 93 and 99 are both exports, with coverage well above and below the legal 40 channels. The 959 is a legal, type-accepted CB radio, with only 40 channels.

Best bet is to just start checking out different pictures and specs. The Galaxy 919,929,939,979,949, and 959 are all legal cb sets. Then you have the Export radio's that have more power, channels, echo, and other features. Some of these are model numbers 48T, 93T,98 VHP, 45MP, 95T, 95T2, and 94. Plus all the old school Galaxy radio's like 33,44,55,66,77,88, and 99.

Thank You Gentlemen, for all your replies, now I have some research to do.
You all mentioned interesting points of view, for me to consider. I Salute you all
for taking the time and effort and thank you once again.
Now, back to the drawing boards... :) It's almost like chasing the
Holy Grail, as I once heard a person say... :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio