• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-94HP - 12GA Gonna Cut It?

AndrewGS

Sandbagger
Dec 20, 2008
Houston
myspace.com
Hopefully my new DX-94HP gets here this week. But, I have a dilemma. I have 12GA wire run from the battery through the dash of my truck up to where the radio will go. I’m thinking with this radio I might need 10GA.

Should I pull everything and run all new wire through the truck or will I be OK on 12GA wire?

Greetings!

First - Congratulations! Hope the baby gets delivered without a hitch...

Now, that #12 AWG issue...good question.

Because this brings up the CAPACITY as well as SHIELDING the truck may have from the RF this radio will produce.

So, that brings up ...

Mounting - how will you install that beast?

Meaning...

Grounds,
Bolted to the dash, Hump or Floor, or overhead console?

Coax, whether it's RG-8X or RG-58, or UG - XX <<Insert favorite 50 ohm line here...

Are you----

Going to mount the antenna using what or what antenna are you going to use?

Instance, Wilson 1000, 10K predator or A-99 (on a pickup? - ok well maybe not that big...) or 102" whip - Dual or single...

Because - distance to the battery and the distance to the antenna mount (or potential feedpoint if permanent mounts are used) will affect voltage drops, radiation in the cab (RF floating about) and losses in wiring runs as well as potential electrical failures depending on how the radio will be mounted (slip seating?) will affect #12 or #10 - because one is easier to use; #12 if used for frequent disconnects - while #10 gives you the assurance of capacity to carry the needed current for BOLT-ON and IN installs and less chance for failures - if properly fused.

Fused? Yes. Back at the battery, if possible - for if wire that big is run under carpet - a dead short will cause a lot of smoke and fill the cab up quickly to a point where you may be unable to pull over out of the traffic - let alone even be able to stop safely if the vehicles engine stalls due to the problem.

PREACHY=Off...

Ok had to say that - but #10 is a good choice for expansion too - but proper dress and feed thru insulation from the firewall as well as fusing - should make a good terminal attach point for inside the cab as needs arise.

Why antenna mentioned? Grounds, multi-point grounding may help in the DC realm but may wreak havoc with RF grounding and sending RF to where it belongs. The kind of grounding used will affect how the radio performs - best to use single point grounding at least for the case but feedpoint ground location can generate a ground-loop noise problem that would affect even the vehicles electronics...

Hope these hints help!
Regards!
:+> Andy <+:

Hopefully my new DX-94HP gets here this week. But, I have a dilemma. I have 12GA wire run from the battery through the dash of my truck up to where the radio will go. I’m thinking with this radio I might need 10GA.

Should I pull everything and run all new wire through the truck or will I be OK on 12GA wire?
In my books, if you are having second thoughts about gauge of wire, then replace it. If it was me, 8 gauge instead of 10.

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.