• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX94 HEATS UP

wilson04

Nov 29, 2009
I have a galaxy DX94 that I'm having issues with. I have it installed in KW semi, Power is hooked to battery with good grounds. When I key up and talk it transmits fine. Once I release the PTT the meter jumps to a S7 and has all sorts of recieve noise. I can key up again and still transmit fine. I can still recieve but its hard to hear over all the static. The problem is the Bottom AMP sections heats up very quickly, too hot to touch. I have to unplug the power for it to stop. I also have other radios that do not do this including a DX98. I believe it has to be something simple, hopefully. Any help would be great.

Reactions: 1 person

the dx94hp has micro fans in the heatsink .see if you can hear them working .
if you have this stuffed in a cubby hole it may not be getting enough air flow .or the fans are not working .or both

The fans are working. It seems like once I key up something shorts and keeps the amp section "firing" untill I disconnect the power source. I believe the static noise is from something maybe grounding out and creating RF? I don't know? The thing is sometimes and can talk with no problems at all. The problem comes and goes. It just seems to happing more and more.

I bought it used. I have now idea. It has been converted so I would say it has had some work done to it, what?, I have no idea. I get good clean audio reports on air though.

What is the SWR on your antenna?
You said the meter stays stuck at S-7 when you un-key and the RX is full of noise, it sounds like the radio is oscillating when you un-key or is still stuck in TX mode.
The other thing I can think of is as the radio starts to warm up and the bias voltage on the Mosfets is going high, you need to pull the radio and put it on a bench so you can see what is going on.
The PA heat sink should not get hot in RX mode.
It may indeed be a simple fix, but you are going to have to pull the radio and use some test equipment to find out what is going on unless it is just high reflect from a bad antenna install.

jeff

Standing wave is around 1.3. My other radios work perfectly on the same setup. I have not tried a different mic. If the radio radio is still oscillating, can I still recieve? If I was stuck in TX, I would'nt be able to hear other people, correct? I dont have any test equipment so I will send it to a tech. Sometimes if I key up a couple of times it will Stop and go back to a S1 or 0.
But when it does get stuck the bottom heatsink will get like a frying pan and will smell very hot. I have'nt been using it like that though. Thanks for all the input.

i heard of a similar problem one time before .the amp was oscillating,it was missing feedback resistors or some other part from factory .
something like this could be your issue too .
either way it needs to see a tech .dtb radio comes to mind .or any certified galaxy repair center .

Yea. I bought my 98VHP from DTB and really like his work. I will probably sent it out to him sometime. I'm just not looking forward to all the shipping yet.

Yea I must say the radio has an issue, might be time to have her looked at. DTB does good work. Then you should double check your antenna system.

As noted it shouldn't heat up when in RX...

I had a Connex 4600 that would heat up really fast when talking, that turned out to be a really poor tune/hack job...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.