• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy "gnf"

Its almost as if its being compared with dsp, far from it. Its just a tone control. The problem is it cuts the audio frequencies that are important for speech intelligibility. It takes out most of the high and mid range frequencies and leaves that awful 300hz -500hz low mid range area intact, thus giving it that honkey muffled sound. Yuk! Bottom line is they should have just put a variable tone control in there instead.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Its almost as if its being compared with dsp, far from it. Its just a tone control. The problem is it cuts the audio frequencies that are important for speech intelligibility. It takes out most of the high and mid range frequencies and leaves that awful 300hz -500hz low mid range area intact, thus giving it that honkey muffled sound. Yuk! Bottom line is they should have just put a variable tone control in there instead.

Ive seen complaints about DSP giving audio an underwater quality.

I found it’s granddaddy!!

Reactions: Crawdad
HA!!

I found it.

Am stuck on the side of the highway near power lines parallel to me, and crossing highway ahead of me (which are maybe — all I can see — the cause of my rolling, heavy & solid S5 to S9 interference. Could also be an electric sign in front of a school).

After the sun came up I went from VERY close reception, to nada, zilch, zero.

So went to the King of CB, the side mic GALAXY DX-959b (new) in the KW to try to find a control panel “solution”.

GNF was the solution.

Underwater bubble-talk beats nothing at all.

Update: almost turned it off when Short Bus started coming in. (Skip, not terribly clear).

— Later, a pair of locals passed me going north and I can still hear them almost 20-minutes later (15+ miles, maybe more) and it’s devolved to nearly unintelligible. True that they both have good radios, etc.

But

Kick GNF off and they disappear.

The CB King comes equipped with The Galaxy Noise Filter. For that last, final, winning effort.

I sure like my GALAXY DX-99v2, but it ain’t side mic, nor does it feature the GNF.

During the war my late father-in-law spent part of it in ferrying P-51 Mustangs from Dallas to Long Beach and back. Part of the responsibility was engine break-in. Procedures. He noted that the throttle & tach had redline settings, but beyond that was a quadrant called War Emergency.

The 959b has a War Emergency setting.

Last edited:
Tech got back from parts-chasing to ostensibly finish work on the KW.

The LED light bar on his service truck roof kicks really really noisy interference into impossible.

This is for AM:

1). Dialed back RF Gain from Max (to .75)
2). Dialed in some Squelch (to .25)
3). Switched TONE to High.
4). Turned ANL Off
5). Turned GNF On.

Re-set Radio & DSP Speaker Volume Controls.

Now that we have descended below the thermocline, it’s smooth-er sailing.

Know the Truth.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.