• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Pluto with issues

Hurricane95

Oct 28, 2015
Waterloo, IA
Hey all!

I have an old Galaxy Pluto here I picked up used. I remember these from the early 90s as being a talking radio. This one, someone replaced the final section with an RFX75.

Anyway, it was working ok at the beginning, but now when it's powered up, it will stay briefly on frequency, and then drops off....a lot! We're talking like from 27.385 all the way down. To 20.xxx Mhz as shown on the frequency display.

It doesn't matter if the mic is keyed or on receive. At first, switching it off and powering it back on seemed to nudge it back where it needed to be on freq. After hooking it up to start using as a base, it got to the point it is unresponsive and drops down to 20 Mhz and doesn't want to come back. The receive audio is also non existent when it drops way off.

Have any of you ever seen this before, or know where to begin? I'm leaning toward a possible cold solder joint as a culprit, but since it is ancient, do you think it may have capacitor issues? Maybe PLL voltage?

This has me stumped, but I'm no professional tech by any means. Just a former USAF wideband comm equipment tech, and long time radio nut.

595 NE Iowa

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.