• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GE 3-5810A

Yes. Channel Master had one just like it, and the very same problem. Seems the pll can goes ka flunky an d bricks the radio. This WAS a working radio until it was hooked up to a Cobra power cord and I heard a pop. These damn things use a polar opposite power cord!

IMO There is a list of things that need to be done first to that radio. The corrosive glue needs to be removed. All the electrolytic caps need to be changed. Besides a thorough visual inspection, the glue and caps should all be taken care of before the power is employed. A new power plug and a standard 4 pin mic jack would also be on that list. It’s a good restoration project for somebody like me, mainly because I have a lot of the spare parts, plus I enjoy restoring them, but I’m sure most people wouldn’t care to spend the time or money to do the job correctly.

If they're not badly rusted, I still grab them up for $5 or less at garage sales .

IMO There is a list of things that need to be done first to that radio. The corrosive glue needs to be removed. All the electrolytic caps need to be changed. Besides a thorough visual inspection, the glue and caps should all be taken care of before the power is employed. A new power plug and a standard 4 pin mic jack would also be on that list. It’s a good restoration project for somebody like me, mainly because I have a lot of the spare parts, plus I enjoy restoring them, but I’m sure most people wouldn’t care to spend the time or money to do the job correctly.

If they're not badly rusted, I still grab them up for $5 or less at garage saltooes .

I

The one with it's lid blown off, (lower right?) looks to be C850 a 10uF/10v tantalum by the parts list. The other one (more upper left?) looks to be C824 a 0.33uF/35 v tantalum.

Reactions: Staybolt
I have heard people say yes you can, and I have heard people say you shouldn't because the tantalums are felt to be more "temperature stable" and "accurate". Since this is in the PLL I would personally be inclined to stick with tantalums if at all possible.

I would welcome others to chime in with their thoughts....

Reactions: Staybolt
I have heard people say yes you can, and I have heard people say you shouldn't because the tantalums are felt to be more "temperature stable" and "accurate". Since this is in the PLL I would personally be inclined to stick with tantalums if at all possible.

I would welcome others to chime in with their thoughts....
Agreed..I replace them with an electrolytic only as a temporary solution, usually when I don’t have an exact replacement in stock. For the time being I wouldn’t worry too much about the stability of an AM only radio. It’s not SSB where drift needs to be kept to a minimum.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.