• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GE Phoenix Microphone Replacement

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
I have a old GE Phoenix VHF high band that is set up for the county emergency frequencies that are used at my work. I work as a paramedic. I use the radio if I end up coming up on a auto accident when I am off duty. Cell phones are a bit useless in our service area. My question is can the stock microphone be replaced by a wired CB type microphone. The old mic is giving pretty tired. I am assuming the GE Phoenix is popular with 2 meter HAM usage due to the e-prom setup. That was how I orginally aquired it. A local guy was setting them up for 2 meters.

Thank you,

Do you have the manual or a service manual for that radio? You probably need to find out what the mic impedence is. Most newer ham rigs mics are 600 ohms. Next you need to find out if there is any power on any of the pins of the radio. This can be done using a multi-meter. If it's just a regular unpowered "standard" mic, any old mic will work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.