• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GM-500, hope it rocks!

Highlander_821

Amour d'Ecosse
Apr 2, 2005
Central IL
I just pulled the trigger on a new Sirio Gainmaster-500 antenna to replace the Imax-2000 that broke in a wind storm last year. Fair bit of change, but I wanted to try something different.

The Imax did a decent enough job, but I did get some RFI in a couple sets of speakers. It may have just been overload, but I suspected some feedline radiation.

This antenna will be going on a rooftop tripod with 10' mast, fed with quality RG-213 (80 feet), at a feedpoint height of around 25-30 feet.

Good purchase?

its the best performing fiberglass stick i ever tried, id be surprised if you were not happy with how it performs vs imax,
im waiting for 100mph+ winds to see how they stand up:)

well i know how ya feel. i know of 2 imaxes that snapped 1 was mine
NEVER again will i buy an imax or anything solarcon releated.i also
had rfi problems i couldnt completely get rid of. supposedly the gainmaster
has a built in choke this should help that out alot.IF i ever go back
to fiberglass it will be a gain master. from reviews on here the GM likes
to be alone in the sky. other antennas seem to interfer with this one.
let me know how ya like it

Is the 500 as broadbanded as the Imax or Antron?? 10-20 meter capability?? Or are they simply an 11 meter antenna?

I am expecting it to cover at least the SSB portion of 10 meters as well as 11. As a matter of fact, it will probably get used on 10 more than 11, but I posted in this section because it is marketed more as a CB antenna.

I haven't told the wife yet, but she just ordered a new set of custom doors for the laundry closet, so I think I'm good. :blush:

Is the new Gain Master noted anywhere as a 500?

Highlander, where did the 500 come from for the Gain Master, is it something new?

Is the 500 as broadbanded as the Imax or Antron?? 10-20 meter capability?? Or are they simply an 11 meter antenna?

the sirio easily covers 10,11,12 meters .outside of that im not sure
theres a you tube video with a mfj 259 connecged to one there
way more broadband than anything from solarcon.

advertises a 4.5 mHz BW

25.5 to 30 mHz @ swr < 2

i don't have one but everday i hear alot of good reports about it...so i may try one here soon.

Alrighty another happy ("U"nreliable "P"ackage "S"ervice) customer you gotta love the boys in brown they took me for a pile of money and even lost the Yaesu base rig they picked back up and shipped to their claims department in Arizona for evaluation sweet hey!!? I obviously no longer use their excellent sevice nor their bull$h!+ insurance they use.

Do a google search on UPS insurance fraudulant cases when I did it was overwelming ;)

question is how do you avoid them, alot of the vendors give you no choice.
p.s. i have never had any problems with any of the delivery services so i guess i been lucky up to now, but i plan on ordering a gm soon.

Last edited:
i have almost pulled the trigger on 3 rigs this year that i ended up passing on because they insisted on ups. i wont use them. period. no way no how. never again for any reason at any time or place. not a chance. i flush brown :thumbdown:

After all i have heard, i have contemplated driving to pick up a gm, but it would be a 9 hour drive one way prolly an overnight stay, so i will take my chance with the carriers.

Highlander, any word on yours? Did you get from copper or h&Y?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.