• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GMRS Base Station

Here we go.....

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Isopheric antenna..
Isotropic maybe?

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
oh and although a 1/4 wave is broader banded then a 5/8 wave
Nope. And, I'm not talking about broader bandwidth, I'm talking about signal pattern. I don't care what the frequency is, sometimes a 5/8 wave is undesireable. This is a perfect example since he is on the side of a mountain.

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
now that we are talking GMRS aplications/frequency's..I hope we all know these are simply line of sight (for most part) Therefore Higher Gain is always desired and even needed if one wants to Know they will get though..
No again. It is NOT desired or needed in this application. A broader signal pattern will travel up and down the mountain better than putting the signal right into the side of the hill.

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
when i use my High Gain (at GMRS frequencys is about 10-11 Dbd gain) and whether i am talking a half mile or 80 miles away i Know i will get though..
Are you on the side of a mountain and only trying to talk 2 miles away? No? Maybe now you are beginning to understand!

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
but in my case i do not have the problem of mountians being in the way..i am in a city....where a 1/4 mile away i do have 2 buildings maybe 40 feet higher then my antenna....otherwise is about 3 miles before mahatten has any higher buildings..as a result i easily sail over those minor hight obstructions..and when i use the beam...forget about it...lol
He is! He is! He is beginning to get it!

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
if i remember...You said where you want to put the base or mobil-base radio it will be half way up the mountian..

Now hight matters even more then Dbd Gain..If you were on TOP of the Mountian...Then i would say go with either the High Gain Db 5/8 wave antenna or a ok 1/4 wave low gain antenna..
Then you would want an antenna with downtilt! If you don't have downtilt, then the 1/4 wave antenna would work better for the stations closer in and below the transmitter. The 5/8 wave antenna would shoot right over the locals heads!

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
If in your Aplication...You at the base are higher then anyone else you would be talking to are...
then is still ok i suppose to use a low gain 1/4 wave..
HE GETS IT!!!!

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
if though others on those portable Blister Box GMRS radios are higher then you (sometimes or always) then sick with the 5/8 wave High Gain Dbd antenna..
Damn! He doesn't get it.....

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
the best of course is to have both hight and High Gain Dbd antenna..
Not always, and this is a perfect example.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.