• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

going for the tech ticket then on to general class

Mar 17, 2006
looking for a rig in the line of a 430 or 440sat or yaesu equal
also 767 or any other ideas
want a nice rig and still have room to expand along with my class

This are all great HF rigs. Do you want just HF (160 to 10m) only and a seperate vhf/uhf rig? or do you want a HF/VHF/UHF all mode rig? I could suggest a few more HF rigs on top of those you have already mentioned.But if you want a DC throught daylight rig so that you can use vhf/uhf in addition to HF, the above rigs will not cover those bands.

'555',
Good luck!
I've had both of those 'K'-word radios, they both do well on HF. Only suggestion about the '440 is to get it with the tuner if possible, makes things just so much easier. No tuner in the '430, but, in general, it's sort of forgiving enough that one isn't needed if the antenna is sort of 'close' to where you want to be. Neither are packed with 'extras', but both are well behaving radios despite that. Both also have 'qwerks' that aren't exactly sought after by most people. The most inconvenient being that they are not 'new', so parts can get sort of scarce. Neither would be my -first- choice, but they would certainly be on my list! Both can also be used on VHF with the proper converter. (All things considered, just buy a VHF radio, finding or building a converter isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to do, but possible.)
As for the '767, never sat in front of one so can't say much about them. (Who'd want a radio that has "AES" in the middle of it, right? :))
- 'Doc

(Don't stop with the General! The Extra isn't that much harder, just more 'stuff' to memorize, and then you don't have'ta remember all them band edges.)

still pondering the thought of these rigs
what would be a step up from the 440s and 757s and not trying to burn a hole in my wallet

This are all great HF rigs. Do you want just HF (160 to 10m) only and a seperate vhf/uhf rig? or do you want a HF/VHF/UHF all mode rig? I could suggest a few more HF rigs on top of those you have already mentioned.But if you want a DC throught daylight rig so that you can use vhf/uhf in addition to HF, the above rigs will not cover those bands.

just something that covers 160 to 10m

'555',
First, there's nothing wrong with either of those radios, and either would probably 'do' you for some time. A step up would for Kenwood would be almost any of their later models, notably the '850 or '870 (no, my '850 is not for sale!). Those two have several 'extras' that are worth having, and the receivers are definitely better. The models after those are sort of a 'more extras' thingy, the ability to 'hear' better is very slight (lots of opinion there, take it FWIW sort of). From there, most manufacturers started getting into the 'miniaturization' kick. Nothing wrong with smaller radios, but I like the larger sized ones. I don't have to squint to see the knobs, or use tweezers to turn them, more personal preference than anything I guess.

If you can't tell, I like Kenwood's radios more than the other brands. You should also take that into consideration before listening to my opinions, cuz the 'other' brands are what I think of as a 'step down' in quality and usability. Best advice anyone can give you is to sit in front of a radio and listen to it before deciding. And like most 'best advice', it's awful hard to do (not the deciding, but the finding the @#$ thing to listen to).
And lastly, -all- radios have 'qwerks' peculiar to themselves. Not really a 'biggy', or 'wrong', but just 'there'. Finding out what those 'qwerks' are beforehand is nice. What 'bothers' me may not be much of a much to anyone else, so who cares, right? If a radio satisfies you, and does at least 'average', then that's the 'best' for you.
'Nuff of that! Find something to use and use it! Then you have a basis of comparison and can decide for your self. Have fun...
- 'Doc

Yaesu FT 897D, for the price you get HF, 6 Meters 2 meters and 70 Cm bands. 100 watts out, DSP, and it is small enought that it makes a great portable rig, and big enough that it can take the heat for long QSO`s.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...DBF3076C94ACA7A8C5&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

FT-897D_thumb.jpg

Jeff

You can't go wrong with the Yaesu FT-897 or 857, also the Icom 7000 would be a nice radio. Ham Radio In A Box, don't ya know.

Then down the road, you can decide what areas of ham radio you REALLY like, and get more gear based on that. (Maybe a nicer HF only rig, or a multi mode TNC or interface plus software and a shack computer, or an amp for either HF or for VHF/UHF, or a nice beam for either HF or 6 meters, or a satellite array, etc, etc, etc)

I have a TS-50 among my collection it has the matching AT-50 and let me tell you its a great reliable compact radio and the noise filtering is just the icing on the cake it has nice features but remember this is a straight HF RIG

'555',
Good luck!
I've had both of those 'K'-word radios, they both do well on HF. Only suggestion about the '440 is to get it with the tuner if possible, makes things just so much easier. No tuner in the '430, but, in general, it's sort of forgiving enough that one isn't needed if the antenna is sort of 'close' to where you want to be. Neither are packed with 'extras', but both are well behaving radios despite that. Both also have 'qwerks' that aren't exactly sought after by most people. The most inconvenient being that they are not 'new', so parts can get sort of scarce. Neither would be my -first- choice, but they would certainly be on my list! Both can also be used on VHF with the proper converter. (All things considered, just buy a VHF radio, finding or building a converter isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to do, but possible.)
As for the '767, never sat in front of one so can't say much about them. (Who'd want a radio that has "AES" in the middle of it, right? :))
- 'Doc

(Don't stop with the General! The Extra isn't that much harder, just more 'stuff' to memorize, and then you don't have'ta remember all them band edges.)

dont forget the kenwood 940sat.cadallic of kenwoods imho

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.