• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good amps?

.... Tube are the best compared to transistor in sound quality. The transistors have an intrinsic noise during conduction that tubes do not.....

at what audible frequency does this "intrinsic noise" occur?

for "music" operations (which rely heavily on even harmonics for "color, fullness, warmth , ect") , a tube can sound different than a solid state" device when it is over-driven to a 20 to 25% level.

at normal drive levels and/or above 125%, there is no difference.

at what audible frequency does this "intrinsic noise" occur?

for "music" operations (which rely heavily on even harmonics for "color, fullness, warmth , ect") , a tube can sound different than a solid state" device when it is over-driven to a 20 to 25% level.

It is a HISSSSS.
I guess I just need to keep the drive level above 125%.

But again, what works for me may not be acceptable to you

I agree. What many guys call acceptable AM audio quality or a good amp is far below my standards.

My point was that an audio amp and an RF amp are 2 different animals. If designed and ran properly no one can hear the difference in a tube or transistor RF amplifier.

Reactions: Tallman
I agree. What many guys call acceptable AM audio quality or a good amp is far below my standards.

My point was that an audio amp and an RF amp are 2 different animals. If designed and ran properly no one can hear the difference in a tube or transistor RF amplifier.

Yes sir. I agree totally. SSB reproduction has to be good as well. I can say that there is nothing wrong with having High Standards.

The transistors have an intrinsic noise during conduction that tubes do not.
That's a new take on an old debate I've never heard before! And that "intrinsic noise" can be heard over the air?

The best true debate fact between tube/transistor amps is the purchase cost per watt for base use is lower with tube amps. Tube amps don't need an external 12 volt power supply but they do run up your electric bill even in idle.

Reactions: Bearcat
Yes 543, the one on eBay. Sorry for the late response. Must not be the same person. My mistake. I know that the one I am thinking of builds a heck of a good amp. Thermally tracking AB biased amp. It was early and my head is in the gutter this morning.

That's a new take on an old debate I've never heard before! And that "intrinsic noise" can be heard over the air?
In audio amps the noise is noticeable. I realize that rf amps might not have the noise noticeable in the received signal. Plenty of other noise out there already.

In audio amps the noise is noticeable. I realize that rf amps might not have the noise noticeable in the received signal. Plenty of other noise out there already.
Your back pedaling now saying that noise might not really apply to RF amps.

I'm also a musician and have a lot of experience in semi-pro recording audio gear using both solid state and tube amps, preamps, tube Eq's and tube compressors along with tube solid and solid state guitar amps.

I also consider myself an audiofile because I can truly hear the difference between Vinyl and 1/4 inch audio tape against the compressed sound of Mp3 and other digital media.

Having said that, I agree tube amps can have a little more sheen and over all warmth but I only truly notice that on the vintage or outrageously expensive hi-fidelity stereo tube equipment out there. Not in RF amps or guitar amps.

A nice HF radio with minimal processing (no external processing) and a great mic like the expensive ribbon mic I use (if want to go all out but isn't necessary ) can make all difference there since your audio chain starts there, not with the amp which is last.

Guitar players fall into the same hype for tube equipment because guitar amps especially rock music is where the amps are purposely overdriven anyway for that distortion sound we rock music lover want to hear. So where's the hi-fidelity sound there?

Really it's a nostalgia thing because the look of those glowing tubes is so cool! I agree completely!

Yes 543, the one on eBay. Sorry for the late response. Must not be the same person. My mistake. I know that the one I am thinking of builds a heck of a good amp. Thermally tracking AB biased amp. It was early and my head is in the gutter this morning.

I don't know much about the guy building in plastic cases. Sounds like he's trying to increase his profit margin. BM Tech does use black cases but they are powder coated aluminum.

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.