• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good amps?

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
any good small amps out there? Just something small 200-250 output should do..11m am/ssb tube or solid state

There is no right or wrong answer here, plenty of info on this site, dont be spoon fed, do a little research......
Ya well I have heard run tx star..don't run tx star....I've heard don't run rm italy...run tubes! Don't run tubes..so there's your silver spoon

Ya well I have heard run tx star..don't run tx star....I've heard don't run rm italy...run tubes! Don't run tubes..so there's your silver spoon

So what's one more opinion going to do for you? You're going to have to use your BS filter and remember you get what you pay for. Most people who talk bad about rm Italy were too cheap to buy the amp they needed and tried to over drive a small cheap one to get the watts they want.

Any transistor or tube amp can be a good or bad design. Some people love Texas Star...I dont. If you buy used consider the lifetime of abuse some older equipment has lived through. A lot of it is on it's last leg. If you buy something from xforce with those new pills get something twice as big as you want and let it run at half throttle. No matter what you choose that isn't a bad rule of thumb.

What it all really boils down to is "What is going to work for you" may not be worth a damn to somebody else. I have three tube amps for mobile that will never be used by me in the mobile. Tube are the best compared to transistor in sound quality. The transistors have an intrinsic noise during conduction that tubes do not. Tube amps require tuning and lots of cool air.

Reactions: Bearcat and 222DBFL
Might try looking at the BM technology amps, or speak with one of the forum members here and have an amp built for you. I know there is at least one that is worthy of the task but don't know if he wants his name spread about. I'll leave it at that. You want more info on that, PM me and I'll shoot him a PM and go from there. But it won't be cheap!! Not many willing to build a quality amp these days as there isn't that much profit in them. Repairs are a much better money maker. But there are still a few guys that are building that are good at what they do. But like I said. They aren't cheap either!!!

Reactions: Bearcat
I'd look into the BM Tech amps first though. He has stopped using plastic cases I am about 110% sure. Just use Google and look him up. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you end up with or wanting to do!! Have a good one.

Reactions: Bearcat
Tube are the best compared to transistor in sound quality.

For an RF amplifier used with a CB this is not true. If the transistors are ran properly they sound fine. My local experts thought they could tell the difference but they failed the test. If you are planning to over drive the amp the tubes may not sound as crappy. Even broadcast is going solid state.

I'd look into the BM Tech amps first though. He has stopped using plastic cases I am about 110% sure. Just use Google and look him up. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you end up with or wanting to do!! Have a good one.

When did he use plastic cases? Are you talking about the guy on eBay?

For an RF amplifier used with a CB this is not true. If the transistors are ran properly they sound fine. My local experts thought they could tell the difference but they failed the test. If you are planning to over drive the amp the tubes may not sound as crappy. Even broadcast is going solid state.
I can definitely tell the difference in tube vs transistor in audio amplifiers. Tubes have a presence and warmth to the sound. Tubes in a push-pull setup turned the volume up and you cannot hear a "Hiss" that you will hear in a transistor circuit. I played in a band eons ago and when we changed our P.A. amplifier to transistor the sound quality suffered. But again, what works for me may not be acceptable to you. Although I don't run amps if I did they would be tube types.

I can definitely tell the difference in tube vs transistor in audio amplifiers. Tubes have a presence and warmth to the sound. Tubes in a push-pull setup turned the volume up and you cannot hear a "Hiss" that you will hear in a transistor circuit. I played in a band eons ago and when we changed our P.A. amplifier to transistor the sound quality suffered. But again, what works for me may not be acceptable to you. Although I don't run amps if I did they would be tube types.

Apples and oranges.

... you get what you pay for. Most people who talk bad about rm Italy were too cheap to buy the amp they needed and tried to over drive a small cheap one to get the watts they want....

Actually, they are trying to operate at the output power that RM Italy advertises.

..... and I agree with you, that that level, they DO sound like crap

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.