• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good sideband radio

boomer111

May 7, 2005
I previously had a Corbra 148 GTL Philippines built and a Black face President Jackson.

Since I have been strictly AM.

Thinking about getting back into side band. I have a Styker 440 now for AM.

What are some of the top dual mode radios available now.

The 148 was solid without drifting the Jackson drifted.

I would want a good performing AM radio as well but have the option of using side band.

Modulation is important to me. The 148 had it and the Jackson didn't.

So I am guessing the RCI 2970 would do it without the need to purchase another amp. Looks to have the best specs.

Last edited:

Yes the RCI is an excellent with a nice modded d-104m6b mic or a Turner Super Side Kick set at an exceptable level.

If your just looking for a good, moderately priced solid SSB radio to use on the 40 CB channels the Cobra 148GTL is still a great buy. I have one the old side mic versions and a new one and there is little difference in performance between them dispite what everyone says. Both are rock solid on SSB.

Hi boomer111, just talked to you on ch 17/AM a few minutes ago.

A 2970N2 or a Magnum S45HP are both great choices. The S45HP works as well on AM and it does on SSB. The N2 does SSB OK; but AM is a bit weak - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Ya I understand that the amp chain is a compromise with side ban involved. I learned that with the Jackson which had terrible am modulation.

Hi boomer111, just talked to you on ch 17/AM a few minutes ago.

A 2970N2 or a Magnum S45HP are both great choices. The S45HP works as well on AM and it does on SSB. The N2 does SSB OK; but AM is a bit weak - IMO . . .

Nice to talk with you Robb. Thanks for the suggestions.

if your looking for a kick ass for both AM and SSB the 2970N2 is a good choice but look for a Magnum S-9 175 that would be another great choice

Yes this looks like a good choice with the stronger audio on the am side. Not really a fan of the 2970 button controls anyway.

Guess some drift is present with all except for the ham rigs.

I have hood mixed reviews regarding the Top Gun way back when it first came out. Have these issues been resolved...sounding like crap...LOL Or maybe is was just operator error.

if you really think that the S-9 is built with cheap parts you are an ASS, the S-9 has been one of the best Sideband radios for a very long time

Me being an ASS does not stop MI from building cheap radios to fund a better line of radios and I reiterate the S-9 is a piece of shit not out of my ASS.

The S9 175 is what I am looking for. I need the AM modulation, been there before without it and was not happy. The 2970n2 could do the job too but I not feeling the controls. The Omega is just a tad under powered for my taste. I am used to pushing 4 2879's.

I always thought that the Magnum line was inferior too. The surface mount is appealing to in the RCI.

So I assume the RCI 2970n2 is a better quality radio than the S9 175?

The AM modulation is not weak but not punchy like the Exports and the Magnum.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.