• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got an Icom IC-208H today

Gearhead

Feb 4, 2007
I had been looking for a decent first radio, and was trying to keep it on the cheaper side. I looked at a LOT of radios online, but a local made me a nice deal on a barely used icom 208H. It looks like it was NEVER used, actually. I was leaning toward the Yaesu ft-2800M, but for literally only a few more dollars, I got the dual band icom :) Now I have to learn how to program it:glare:

Congrats on the new radio Gearhead, Icom builds a strong unit. I've always liked their marine radios, but never owned any of their HAM equipment. I looked long and hard at Icom, but went with the Yaesu for two reasons......low cost, and they appear to be a little easier to program....

Good luck with it......

I'm a little confused about the CTCSS codes. This radio has "tone frequency" , "tone squelch frequency" , and "DTCS code" I'm not sure what to change for access to the repeaters. For example, one of the repeaters requires CTCSS 107.2. Now, which do I change, the tone freq, tone squelch, or both?

DUH...I think I figured it out :redface: The tone is to access the repeater, and the tone squelch frequency allows the incoming signal to break MY squelch. If that's not right, PLEASE let me know. lol.

That's correct and not all repeaters pass the tone back to you so don't be surprised if they don't all work with the 'decode' side enabled.

It's common that you need a tone to get into the repeater but it doesn't pass a tone back to you for RX.

If a repeater is passing a tone back and you don't have decode on, you may hear a bit of a low hum on the audio while listening to it. This varies on the deviation level of the tone on the signal, the rig you are using and they audio range of the speaker you are listening through as well.

It's been several years for me, but as I recall with the 2 meter repeaters in my area, you need CTCSS tones to bring up the machine, but you don't need them to open your squelch. This may have changed in the 15+ years since I actively used them, so I may need to look into this newer developement when I go to program my FT-2800M......

The tone squelch is optional thing that depends on preference I think. I only say that, because it can be turned on and off. In the on position, the radio is quiet, and only takes the signal, if it picks up the required tone, which is sub-audible.

The tone squelch is optional thing that depends on preference I think. I only say that, because it can be turned on and off. In the on position, the radio is quiet, and only takes the signal, if it picks up the required tone, which is sub-audible.

That's how the radios and repeater works with the Fire Dept I'm employed with, they keep the tones as much a secret as humanly possible because we've had issues with radio pirates breaking into our repeater and causing us interfearance. The repeater is also set up with an odd split which also makes it a little more difficult to access......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.