• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got that Sirio SD-27 up - pics enclosed

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
Well the Sirio is sold as a CB antenna and works great there but it is also broadbanded enough to use on 10 meters without a tuner. I put the new Sirio SD-27 on the mast with the existing ladder line fed doublet that I use on the HF bands. The ladder line for the doublet in the picture is 600 ohm (real) ladder line coupled to a Dentron Super Tuner in the shack.

Everything but the Sirio is scraps from the garage and stuff red neck engineered and picked up from the local Lowes. The doublet is in the inverted V configuration and works great on the ham bands.

I fed the Sirio with LMR 400 coax. My copper pipe 2 meter J pole is peeking in from the left in one of the pics.

The antenna is performing great and I am real pleased with it.

25247_114449795232233_100000016401442_305044_5337011_n.jpg

25247_114449918565554_100000016401442_305045_1863578_n.jpg

25247_114450068565539_100000016401442_305046_183843_n.jpg

looks like a good install lazy . just curious ...... does mounting it verticle off a mast like that give it any directionality . like a single reflector or director would ?

looks like a good install lazy . just curious ...... does mounting it verticle off a mast like that give it any directionality . like a single reflector or director would ?
id think it would work just like a a-99 in the verticle position ,just my 2 cent worth.also id add a small rotar so ya can turn it on the flatside for dx
got me thinking bout one now.....hmmm

Not that I can tell Booty. The main mast is due west of the antenna, and I talked to California (I am in Tampa Bay) well a few times since the antenna went up, so it does not seem to be attenuating the westward signal too much.

A device to flip it vertical to flatside , and then round and round with a rotor would be awesome. :) Kinda like one of those satellite tracking ham antennas.

Loosen those mounting 'U' bolts very slightly. mount 'stick' horizontally on the vert.dipole's mast holding it away from the vertical mast. Tie ropes on either end of that 'stick'. Pull one rope to make antenna lay over sideways. Pull 'other' rope to make it stand up.
I just saved you something like $300 for an 'elevation' rotor. Least you could do would be to send me a 'six-pack'... 'Miller Lite'!
- 'Doc
;)

Loosen those mounting 'U' bolts very slightly. mount 'stick' horizontally on the vert.dipole's mast holding it away from the vertical mast. Tie ropes on either end of that 'stick'. Pull one rope to make antenna lay over sideways. Pull 'other' rope to make it stand up.
I just saved you something like $300 for an 'elevation' rotor. Least you could do would be to send me a 'six-pack'... 'Miller Lite'!
- 'Doc
;)

hahahahahaha - gotta love that guy......

This antenna is great for someone with a horizontal beam on a tower because you can side mount it to the tower below the beam. Remember this antenna has no gain so if you are considering buying one it should be based on this antennas ability to side mount on an existing structure. Otherwise you would probably be more pleased with the extra gain offered by a larger groundplane.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.