• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

grant export as good as grant cb ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

is a President Grant Export Am/Fm/Ssb as good as the uniden grant ? what kind of deadkey and swing can be expected ?

in a word-NO.
or-maybe.
or-not really.
definitely not 100% better in everybody's eyes. the export (real, original) used dual finals that easily approached 50 watts PEP if 'done right'. its dual conversion receiver was on par with the mb8719 unidens. BUT, the BIG BUT, broadband ANY CB to operate far further then it was designed, and you start to lose something. a bit of receive quality, a bit of xmit quality, etc. how much? take 2 identical zr1 vettes off the assembly line & race 'em. one will be faster then the other....but they are the same. oh well. tolerances. blueprinting. etc. same with radios. when i was a kid, wanting toys, the export would be the way to go. today, i'm happy with 26.835 & 27.605 as my highs & lows, & the xl fits the bill. slider. no biggie. 10kc switch. no biggie. and i can 'better' both receive & xmit on the xl til it's better then the export. i could add a beep to the xl if i so desired. even a magnum endless echo-HAH! the export doesn't even have 1 of those! neither radio is made new anymore. you can find NIB xl's for pretty much the same price as when new 10 years ago. been a LONG time since i saw a NIB export grant. even junkers approach $150 frequently. for me, the export doesn't offer anything i can't duplicate and better, with the xl. would i tell somebody not to buy a 'good' export grant-or turn down 1 myself if the price was right? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!

If you are comparing both of them on the regular 40 channels and both radios are tuned for this band there is no comparison between the DX and standard model. The DX will win hands down. Yes you can modify the regular Grant to do this and that but you have "add on" technology. The DX was engineered this way. Kind of like someone that doesn't want to spend the money on a export radio but buys a Cobra 29 and then has it tuned, supermodded, strapped, etc, and then gets an echo, 10 khz slide, talkback, roger beep, and other usless stuff installed. More money tied up in the radio trying to make the 29 do things the export does stock.
The Grant DX does not have the same type of modulation circuitry as the newer exports have. Seems like there is one more amplification step than them. AM and SSB power on the DX is more than the stock Grant can be made to do.
I bought a Grant DX when they first came out and still have it. When I need a radio to step above the rest it is the one of choice.

BC

'If you are comparing both of them on the regular 40 channels and both radios are tuned for this band there is no comparison between the DX and standard model. The DX will win hands down'-wow. if you say so. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....phew. no way shape or form. no way. no how. higher power output and having $500 worth of uselss toys does not make an export grant better then an mb8719 grant. all it does is make it have higher output & $500 worth of useless toys. the 8719 grant is the better radio. trust me.

I don't understand what you are calling "useless toys"? The extra channels? The 10Khz jump? The roger beep? And what is the deal with the $500? These were not points that were asked about...it was about performance of a radio.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Of course if you have never owned a properly tuned Grant DX you would think the way you are thinking.

BC

did i not say 'trust me'? i own, have owned, tuned, repaired, rebuilt, destroyed, etc etc quite possibly more mb8719 grant xl's AND each and every version export grant ever made then the average person has owned radios. the export grants are EXCELLENT radios. maybe in the top 5 export radios EVER BUILT. definitely top 10. the mb8719 uniden grant xl is the absolute best cb radio ever built. comparing the 2 is comparing apples to cucumbers. while it may not exactly have $500 worth of usless toys, it is not the overall better radio. the xl has a better receiver, which can be made even better, both on am & ssb using numerous available mods. the audio quality of the xl is better both am & ssb, and can be made even better yet using any of nealry a half million mods. does the galaxy line of radios have LOUD am audio? sure. does that make it GOOD? not at all. does the export grant have LOUD am audio? yup. does that make it good? actually, yea. fortunately not galaxy loud, read:eek:bnoxious & 20 channels wide on either side of center frequency. xmit & rcv quality are far more important then just plain being loud, having a roger beep, having numerous bands of channels, etc. broadbanding a cb/export chassis for much more then 40 channels reduces effectiveness of all aspects of the radio. it just wasn't made to be 'perfect' over 200 channels. you asked in your 1st post if the export is as good as the uniden. i answered.....yes, no, maybe.....depends on 'what'. 40 channel cb operation-the uniden is the better radio. 'When I need a radio to step above the rest it is the one of choice'-in my case-and probably most cases-it is and should be the xl. if you require power, an add on amp is better then a built in one....especially one creating far more output then the transistors are rated for and far more trash on 20 channels each direction from the one you're on....sorry, that was a jab at the mongo watt rci & galaxy junkers now flooding mr p's pockets with US dollars.....

uniden grant xl

This thread would be for davegrantster.Hey dave i totally agree with ya on the grant xl being one ass kicking radio period!.Mine dead keys 4 watts swings to 18-19 watts,and thats good for me,bigun297 said that and i'm gone.

If you are talking about the older style Grants and not the LTs......the export will in no way be as good as the conventional Cb radio. The audio on the regular 40 ch Grant is leaps and bounds better than the somewhat anemic export.
The Grant export will do the watts if tuned right but the audio just isn't impressive like it's 40 ch counterpart.
I have both of those radios and for some reason the single 1969 final Grant XL drives my amps way better than the dual 1969 export Grant.

and grant radios

If you are talking about the older style Grants and not the LTs......the export will in no way be as good as the conventional Cb radio. The audio on the regular 40 ch Grant is leaps and bounds better than the somewhat anemic export.
The Grant export will do the watts if tuned right but the audio just isn't impressive like it's 40 ch counterpart.
I have both of those radios and for some reason the single 1969 final Grant XL drives my amps way better than the dual 1969 export Grant.

i just bought a new grant xl and hope to buy a new tl grant in do time to compare the 2 in rx. cbradiomagazine bought the tl in new to mint shape and one that was used condition. i realize too in the world of electronics that if you know your serial numbers that it is not good to buy a radio or any electronic equipment made on a monday or friday....the same if a judge has to sentence you!! ha ha>>>was a prison minister in abilene tx.....sooo i hope the xl i have and the tl i get are made on tue to thurs!!! i realize too that some of the new surface mounts are made with some robotics. would like to find out if the new unider bearcat 980 ssb 40 ch will come close to the rx of the grants...cbradiomagazine has tested the 980 but does not say anything to compare the new 980 ssb to the grant or any other ssb mobile radio.

in a word-NO.
or-maybe.
or-not really.
definitely not 100% better in everybody's eyes. the export (real, original) used dual finals that easily approached 50 watts PEP if 'done right'. its dual conversion receiver was on par with the mb8719 unidens. BUT, the BIG BUT, broadband ANY CB to operate far further then it was designed, and you start to lose something. a bit of receive quality, a bit of xmit quality, etc. how much? take 2 identical zr1 vettes off the assembly line & race 'em. one will be faster then the other....but they are the same. oh well. tolerances. blueprinting. etc. same with radios. when i was a kid, wanting toys, the export would be the way to go. today, i'm happy with 26.835 & 27.605 as my highs & lows, & the xl fits the bill. slider. no biggie. 10kc switch. no biggie. and i can 'better' both receive & xmit on the xl til it's better then the export. i could add a beep to the xl if i so desired. even a magnum endless echo-HAH! the export doesn't even have 1 of those! neither radio is made new anymore. you can find NIB xl's for pretty much the same price as when new 10 years ago. been a LONG time since i saw a NIB export grant. even junkers approach $150 frequently. for me, the export doesn't offer anything i can't duplicate and better, with the xl. would i tell somebody not to buy a 'good' export grant-or turn down 1 myself if the price was right? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!

Dave is right on the money here. If you take a Uniden Grant xl and give it a correct tune and alignment it will win hands down. This is on the legal 40 channels. You want echo then add a 2018 mic.

I love Exports but they are a compromise, they are spread thin over 12 bands of channels so they are ok on all of them. The Grant xl is dialed in on just 40 channels.

As far as wattage, no. The Export will win there but heck, you need MOPOWA run that Grant xl into a Texas Star 350 and cha ching. The Grant xl is super smooth on AM and rock solid stable on SSB. With a good receive alignment it will smoke most every Export as well. Look at how many forum members buy their exports for cheap and convert them at home. They don't even touch the receive. Every export radio needs a receive alignment right out of the box once converted.

I have had two Exports of the same radios side by side. One was bought at H & Y and the owner converted it himself and fiddled with the power alittle. The other had a complete alignment from a quality tech. The one that got aligned properly could hear a gnat fart across town, the H & Y special could not.

is a President Grant Export Am/Fm/Ssb as good as the uniden grant ? what kind of deadkey and swing can be expected ?

Receive quality.........Non export Grant is way better.
Transmit audio.........Non export Grant by a country mile even though the export will swing more than double what the CB version does. The export version sounds OK but not impressive.

I think that is what we are talking about. A Grant radio of any vintage has not been made in well over a decade, maybe even 20 years for some. Even if you found a new in the box Export Grant everything we have talked about applies.

I have two Grant XL's, one with a Digiscan, the other with a jumped pll for channels. Pretty sweet old rigs!

Never had the export version though.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.