• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground = God

office888

Jun 8, 2009
Hartford, MI
I've had my Maco V58 + Diamond F23 on the roof for a while.

I finally got around to running a proper ground however. I've had an 8 foot by 5/8" copper-clad rod drove into the ground, but I kept forgetting to get the wire.

Well, I was at menards, and I figured why not. I picked up some 6 AWG solid wire. I used a torch to heat up the rod + wire, and soldered them together. I also put a large hoseclamp on it to give it more strength.

Now, I didn't feel like messing around on the snowy roof in the dark, so I just kinda wrapped the wire around the masts a bit.

I came in to see if it made a difference yet.

I'm definitely noticing a drop in atmospheric noise. The biggest different I've noticed, is the 80m RX on my Maco V58 is a ton quieter.

I'm curious to see how it'll be once I get them properly bonded to the towers, and run my ground system.

It'll be:
Equipment Ground
Antenna Ground
House Ground
~3 more rods, spaced about 6 ft apart
Rohn AX tower ground rod

All linked together! :D

Glad you got around to connecting the ground rod to your system but soldering is not the way to go for a connection of this type, the solder kinda sort of acts as a fuse in a lightning strike, your best bet is to use this style clamp for a solid connection.

PH0281.jpg

I actually prefer this style but they're a bit more pricy.
images

Mack has the idea about ground connections. In fact I believe in most areas it is actually illegal, or at least against code, to solder a ground cable because of the reason mack suggests. The solder will actually vaporize in the event of a strike and cause the ground connection to open and fail. All ground connections should be a strong physical connection or cadweld.

CADWELD

Mack has the idea about ground connections. In fact I believe in most areas it is actually illegal, or at least against code, to solder a ground cable because of the reason mack suggests. The solder will actually vaporize in the event of a strike and cause the ground connection to open and fail. All ground connections should be a strong physical connection or cadweld.

CADWELD

I soldered AND clamped it in place.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned