• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grundig Satallit 750 power supply options

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
I understand this radio works best using the D cells rather than a wall wart that generates some hum.
I'm considering an external AGM 6-volt battery instead of the D cells for several reasons:
1) The AGM would be rechargeable.
2) The AGM would last longer between charges compared to replacing the D cells after XXX hours of use.
3) Chance of D cells damaging the radio if left awhile.

Has anyone else tried this? A fully charged 6-volt AGM battery might approach 7 volts. Would that be a problem for this radio?

I understand this radio works best using the D cells rather than a wall wart that generates some hum.
I'm considering an external AGM 6-volt battery instead of the D cells for several reasons:
1) The AGM would be rechargeable.
2) The AGM would last longer between charges compared to replacing the D cells after XXX hours of use.
3) Chance of D cells damaging the radio if left awhile.

Has anyone else tried this? A fully charged 6-volt AGM battery might approach 7 volts. Would that be a problem for this radio?

Nope, full D cells normally are around 1.6 Volts new, so 4 would be 6.4 Volt, 7 volt is too close to matter.
I run my Grundig Yachtboy on a wallwart well regulated 5 volts, the radio needs 4.5 volt.
If you really don't want to tak chances take a 2 amp diode up in line thatt drops the voltage 0.6 volts.
I don't see a problem with a well regulated wallwart of 6 volts, you can add a capacitor for extra filtering if need be.

That is the way i went no humm or buzz to be heard, i took an old transformeer wallwart put in 5 volt regulator and added some extra 1500 microfarad capacitor over the output, clan as a whistle.

Well, I hooked up my 6 volt (6.31 volt) 5 amp hour AGM battery with this charger:
1660420470573.png

Was $9.95 on Amazon, but "currently not available" but there are similar cheapo units available.

No more noisy wall wart. No more D cells.

Strange. The hum-inducing 6 volt wall wart I was using generated 10 volts and didn't fry my Grundig. A miracle. Lesson: Test voltage output before using.

The AGM battery together with the charger doing its charging thing noise-free generates only 8.3 volts, so I'm not concerned about that.

I also installed a cheapo volt meter on top of the radio - see photo.
Grundig with volt meter.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Satellit 750 also. I purchased rechargeable D Batteries and haven't looked back. I still use the power cable but only when I need to recharge my batteries.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned