• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Had power outage now Astron RS-50A not working right

The parts arrived today and I installed them.....then I turned the powersupply on and checked the voltage....14.2 volts? wtf
I looked at one of the old transistors and it was 2N3771...I look at the new ones I put on and they are 2N3772...digi-key sent me a different part than I ordered....the power supply is supposed to put out 13.8 volts...this sucks....I bought 10 0f those transistors and they sent me the wrong ones.:mad:

The parts arrived today and I installed them.....then I turned the powersupply on and checked the voltage....14.2 volts? wtf
I looked at one of the old transistors and it was 2N3771...I look at the new ones I put on and they are 2N3772...digi-key sent me a different part than I ordered....the power supply is supposed to put out 13.8 volts...this sucks....I bought 10 0f those transistors and they sent me the wrong ones.:mad:

Sounds like a bonus.

Not a problem - the '3772's are heavier duty. Check on the regulator board for a small pot, which will be the voltage adjust. Just trim it for 13.8 VDC, and you're all set. Did you replace the voltage regulator too? That will explain the voltage discrepancy.

Not a problem - the '3772's are heavier duty. Check on the regulator board for a small pot, which will be the voltage adjust. Just trim it for 13.8 VDC, and you're all set. Did you replace the voltage regulator too? That will explain the voltage discrepancy.

This is really good news. :)

Yes...I replaced the voltage regulator....I thought I was buying 1 and they sent me 4.....thanks for the info....really appreciate it. :)

How the heck do you get at that pot to adjust the voltage...the circuit board is upside down on top of that big capacitor?

How the heck do you get at that pot to adjust the voltage...the circuit board is upside down on top of that big capacitor?
On some Astron regulator boards, there is a hole through which you can put a small "diddling" tool or screwdriver. On others, you have to physically remove the board, turn it over and adjust. On those boards, experienced techs usually drill a small hole so they can tweak the pot the next time the board needs service, (which is often as the Astrons have known failure issues, none serious, but they still need attention).

i set both of my astron 50m supplies in paralel up to 14.4v to run the radio the tx star 500 and the modulator

i set both of my astron 50m supplies in paralel up to 14.4v to run the radio the tx star 500 and the modulator

Hooking them up together...how many amps do you have? :)

I have this astron 50 and a astron 20 as a backup.....I am prolly gonna sell them both and get a astron 70....not that I am gonna run anything bigger....just like to have too much gun....rather than too little gun. :)

well i saw the 50a meter peg with the 500 alone when using ssb so i know it will do 55a or so for a few seconds anyway. now with both i can hold 100a for like 30 seconds. you might just wanna keep the 20 for running a mobile and get another 50a so you allways have enuff

well i saw the 50a meter peg with the 500 alone when using ssb so i know it will do 55a or so for a few seconds anyway. now with both i can hold 100a for like 30 seconds. you might just wanna keep the 20 for running a mobile and get another 50a so you allways have enuff

How did you hook them up in tandem.....just wire them up - to - + to +?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.