• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham questions for a newbe

Railham

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jul 17, 2009
Florida
I've been on the CB close to 6 years and I was wonderin how hard is it to get a Ham licence and a price of a entry Ham radio . Thanks

I've been on the CB close to 6 years and I was wonderin how hard is it to get a Ham licence and a price of a entry Ham radio . Thanks

It's not very difficult at all with a week or two of studying. About the radio it depends on what freqs. and mode you are looking to operate on. Good luck.

Train,
How hard is it to get a ham license? It isn't that hard at all, but does require you to have some knowledge to pass a test. Every question that will be asked, and the answers to those questions is published, public knowledge. There are a few places on the internet where you can either get those Q & A's, or take practice tests. Taking the test isn't free. Not sure what the examination fee is now, but it's less than $20. (A 10 year license, $20, about $2/year, and no, those examiners don't get to keep any of it.)

What's a 'ham radio' cost? It's about like cars. Start off around $100 - 200 for a used one. And as many of those dollars as you want to throw at a brand new, whiz-bang, chopped, channeled, slammed, tubbed, nitro-methane'd, hopping, Rolls Royce that does everything except wipe the sweat off your brow while it does everything for you. In other words, that's up to you, sort of. Like shopping for anything, the bargains are there, you just gotta find them, and know what a bargain is to start with. Ham radio isn't as 'cheap' as CB radio. Then again, that ham radio typically does much more than the typical CB radio does. Many more bands, all kinds of bells-n-whistles, adjustments for dang near everything, and if you want to 'change' things, modify it, have at it, it's even legal. If whatever you happened to modify isn't the best idea in the world, someone will certainly tell you about it. :)
Ham radio is also a different 'attitude' than CB radio on the average. Different ways of doing things, typically more regimented, sort of. So, it isn't -THE- thing for everyone. Only way I know of finding out if you might like it, is to try it. Do some listening for a while. Think you might like it? So try it. If not, don't. Simple as that. And like every other group of whatever kind'a thing that get's grouped together, there will be those you will like and those you will not like. So what else is new? Enjoy what you like, pass on the others.
Have fun. (It's habit forming too, be careful! ;))
- 'Doc

Go the the ARRL web site. They have all of the up to date information you could think of about licensing and privileges.

http://www.arrl.org/

Last edited:
What Frequncies is open to the first licence ?

Part of 10 meters which has the same characteristics (skip) as 11 meters
28.3000 to 28.5000 for a Tech (and up to 200w PEP)

6 meters 50.100mhz to 54.000mhz
2 meters 144.000 to 148.000mhz
1.25 meters 222.000mhz to 225.000mhz
70cm 420.000mhz to 450.000mhz
33cm 902.000mhz to 928.000mhz
23cm 1,240.000mhz to 1,300.000mhz

The local western WA VEs are charging $15 for the test

Free Study Guides
http://www.hamradioinstructor.com/guides.html

Free practice tests
http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

The ARRL study books are about $20 each

Thank yall so much and I'm happy to say that I'm now a Ham Tec . 73's and hope to be on the Air soon . KJ4????

Hey Congrats..

It will be a little adjustment..
Not hard though and so many more things you can do with ham radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.