• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handhelds: any advice?

Scooter

May 12, 2006
I'm interested in 2M or multiband handhelds to travel with and work repeaters. I'm doing my homework, but I know very little about handhelds. Are they practical, functional? Do they perform decently? I'm also considering a portable antenna, lilke the buddipole. Anyone have any experience with setups like this? Your thoughts? Thanks.

My wife and I also use VX-5Rs, and have been very happy with them. In hindsight however, I would have bought a radio with 2m/220/440, rather than 6m/2m/440.

6 meters is not very useful in a handheld. On the other hand, here in SoCal there are a number of 220 repeaters. I am in a club that has several 220 repeaters and a 440 repeater that is conveniently located.

If you actually plan to use other bands, a dual- or multi-band HT is worthwhile. If you are in area where most repeaters are on 2 meters, or most 440 repeaters are closed, you may be as well off with a 2 meter only rig.

2 meters is by far the most popular HT band, and most of the country has plenty of repeater coverage. A single band HT is also definately cheaper, with many good models in the $100 to $120 range. Stay away from the really cheap models, and any with less than 5 watts output. Almost all HTs allow you to reduce power to conserve batteries, but there are times when a few watts are needed. From my house I can hit several repeaters on a watt or less, but when you start getting more rural you need a bit more power.

Of course a good antenna will make more difference in practical range on VHF/UHF than increases in power. A rubber-ducky is about the least efficient antenna anyone uses--they are just much more convenient to carry.

The Buddypole is an HF antenna. There are a number of HT antennas that really boost performance over a stock rubber-ducky.

Look at Maldol, Larsen, and Diamond.

For portable use--like hiking and such, a "roll-up J-Pole" is a great idea. It is a full half-wave antenna that will have much better performance than a rubber-ducky. You can make your own (just do a google and you should find several sites with details) or buy one ready-made for about $20.

I have, or have had, HTs by Icom, Yaesu, and Alinco. I have had good performance from all of these. I have heard good things about kenwood.

Hope this helps--it is easy to ramble on for a while....

Dave_W6DPS

I have a Kenwood THF6a. I love it it. I've owned several multiband HT's and the THF6a is by far my favorite. Ditto what Dave said about the antennas.

I also run a VX-5r, Great little radio, wide band RX, good Batt life, good audio.
The only thing I do not like about it is the SMA connection, whis they had used a BNC, but other than that is has been an awesome radio.

Jeff

Scooter,
I think the best advice is to think about it before getting an HT, do you really want/need one? They can certainly be convenient, but they do have their inconveniences too. I seldom have a problem being able to tell if someone is using an HT. In some cases I have a problem hearing/understanding them (more on my end than theirs). Also, depending on the circumstances, they are just about as irritating as the average cell phone. I do have some interest in listening to radio stuff, absolutely none in listening to someone's phone conversations.
The antenna that comes with the typical HT is just barely usable in most cases. Almost anything will be an improvement.
If you're gonna carry one of the things, why not make it a multi-band HT?
Good luck.
- 'Doc

PS - I have an HT. Haven't turned it on in quite some time. If I can find it, I guess I ought'a charge it again.

i use Icom T-90A with
high gain diamond antennan and exturnal mike
great ht super easy to use and nice loud audio
i am often mistaken as a base
from street level i hit repeaters as far as 80 (yes 80 miles)away

since T-90A is no good for 220 band
also have kenwood THF6A for use on 220 with
triband high gain dimond antenna

battery lasts forever
but clearly will not talk as far as my T-90A

:D My first rig was a hand held, like doc said i couldn't wait to get a mobile. I had a t-90 i sold it to a new ham for $100 becuase it just sat there collecting dust(in the box) for months. i like my d-7AG but thats becuase i bought it for a specific reason APRS/remote link. If you think your going to use a tri-band get one or save yourself some cash and get a single or dual bander buy the sma to bnc adapter and a decent magmount antenna for it. That will at least help you to rx/tx in a vehicle or sittin in a house. 73 happy shopping

44 miles is nice indeed

on vhf and uhf i hit a repeater some 65 miles away & same ham club with 2 meter and 70 cm repeaters (with my T-90a from street level with replacement Diamond antenna)
however it is in part due to that their antennas are atop a 800 ft tower

i keep hearing 2 meters is most popular
as far as i see it is UHF all the way
at least in the nyc-nj metro area

look at Comet,Maldol, Larsen, and Diamond.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.