• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Handi Talkie Amplifier

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
I have a Wouxun KG UV3D which is limiated to 5 watts. I was talking to someone on the repeaters the other night who said he had a 2A handitalkie which he had amplified to 20A? Wondering if this was done with power, or an antenna amplifier, or how he got the extra punch for his radio..his signal was much clearer than he said mine was..

Perhaps he was using a 2 meter amplifier. If you're having trouble hitting a particular repeater improve your antenna first. Anything outdoors up in the air is a good place to start, but your needs may vary. Were you at home, in your car, or on foot? Are you sure your radio was set to use the maximum power?

I use a Diamond RH77CA antenna on my HT versus the one it came with. At home I use an outdoor antenna. On the vehicle I use a mobile antenna for 2m/440. What I don't use is an amplifier. If I did, I would first make sure the antenna could handle the additional wattage. Five watts is quite a bit to hit most repeaters. Know this, with five watts I can hit the S0-50 satellite and make a contact using the HT and the stock antenna that came with it. True there aren't many things in the way when it passes overhead, but it does work. Anyways, an amplifier will need a power source.

* There is a Diamond SRH77CA antenna that will work with the SMA connector on your HT. I personally use a BNC adapter on my HT, but whatever works for you.

There are a number of small amplifiers for use with an HT. Mirage makes several that will deliver about 35 watts out with 5 watts drive. I have a little 2 meter amp that was made by Tokyo Hy-Power and sold through RF Parts (no longer available). I stumbled across mine at a ham swap meet for $35. The biggest issue with these amps is that they cost almost as much as a full blown mobile radio. It's cool if you can find a deal at a swap meet, but I would rather just buy a 50 watt mobile rig rather than pay full price for an amp with similar output.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with Mole. The reason most amps consume as much power as a higher powered mobile radio is class of operation. A regular radio is FM mode and can operate class C whereas an amp is usually good for SSB as well as FM and operates class ab. A typical 30 watt amp will use as much power as a typical 50 watt radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.