• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heart warming story

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
Say what you will about HAM Radio Operators but, this story will attest to the fact that there are still good, civil Operators out there.

Last week I placed a ad in the Buddipole Group that, I was a National Guardmen heading to Iraq in a short while. I applied for and received my Iraqi Amateur Radio license and that I was planning on bringing my Buddistick and Yeasu 817nd or 897d but, would like the ability to transform my Buddistick to a Buddipole if circumstances call for it. I also stated that yes, I am only a Tech. but, according to Iraq law I am granted all HF privilages and supported this claim by providing a link to the Iraqi Radio Club website so, they can see my name listed. This was done just in case there were people who doubted my motive for placing such an ad. I asked for donations and of course purchase of items needed as long as the cost was resonable.

Well, the responses have been overwhelming. In less than a week I have received commitments and shipping notices for all parts needed except the tripod and 8' mast. I am in the process of speaking to a gentleman about these items. All commitments have been followed up by shipping notices from Budd at Buddipole. Not only has this been a experience not soon forgotten but, I have received replies of support and prayers for my safe return and support for my wife and family. Incredible, is all I can say. So, just goes to show you some radio communities can come together for a cause.
I have seen this time and time again on here and other forums. It is a good feeling to know that there are good, unselfish people still left on this planet

Your a good man godbless and we will have converstions like this again WHEN YOU COME BACK HOME and that you will my friend stay strong have a safe tour and let us know where we can look for you across the bands. My support goes out to you and your wife and family she will also do fine she has a strong man in her life to follow and take over for well for a bit anyways ;)

Well this is an update to my previous post. I have now confirmed that I have a complete Buddipole coming with tripod, 16' mast, TRSB extral long whips and swing arm kit. This is more than I hoped and even better, all it cost me was the cost of shipping and possibly the $36 for the whips. I have made special QSL cards up that have my Iraqi callsign and a picture of Iraq on it. Not bad looking cards for my first endeavor. I have been trying to figure out how to save it as a JPG so I can post it. So far I have printed and cut out 150 cards for $14 which is less than half the cost of having them printed.

Well this is an update to my previous post. I have now confirmed that I have a complete Buddipole coming with tripod, 16' mast, TRSB extral long whips and swing arm kit. This is more than I hoped and even better, all it cost me was the cost of shipping and possibly the $36 for the whips. I have made special QSL cards up that have my Iraqi callsign and a picture of Iraq on it. Not bad looking cards for my first endeavor. I have been trying to figure out how to save it as a JPG so I can post it. So far I have printed and cut out 150 cards for $14 which is less than half the cost of having them printed.

Don't forget to post some sked's for us so we can try and have a QSO with ya when you're all set up over there.;)(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.