• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heathkit Transciever!!

The DX-60 is just a transmitter and not a transceiver. All tubes, CW and AM modes only. 12 watts of carrier on AM peaking to about 50 watts. About 75 watts of carrier on CW. Crystal controlled or VFO controlled if you have the HG-10 VFO for it. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. They make a nice AM transmitter if you run it right and have the VFO and a decent receiver to go with it.

its much like a Browning? what type of reciever do I need and how do I hook them up? seperate antennas or does the reciever connect to the transmitter? thanx Dr. KWatt....

Single antenna goes to a change over relay that is comtroled by the transmitter. It switches the antenna between the tx and the rx. The matching receiver is the HR-10. I habe a DX-60b witb the VFO and HR-10 receiver. This isn't for someone that has no idea about separate tx/rx BTW. It is not something you would really run on 11m either. It covers 10 thru 80 m. Like I said before, it depends on what you want to do with it. 80m AM great. 11m playground forget it.

BTW Heathkits are only as good as the guy that built it.

Single antenna goes to a change over relay that is comtroled by the transmitter. It switches the antenna between the tx and the rx. The matching receiver is the HR-10. I habe a DX-60b witb the VFO and HR-10 receiver. This isn't for someone that has no idea about separate tx/rx BTW. It is not something you would really run on 11m either. It covers 10 thru 80 m. Like I said before, it depends on what you want to do with it. 80m AM great. 11m playground forget it.

BTW Heathkits are only as good as the guy that built it.

You can get it to TX/RX on 11M right? Via crystal controlled? Waiting on my friend, hoping he has the HR-10.

I saw some vids on Youtube, as the operator sneaked down to 10M, wattage dropped also.

Iʻll keep ya posted Cpt. KWatt.... Aloha

You must use xtals that are "Fundemental"...meaning the xtal must be cut for that specific freq.... xtal's that were cut for like the old Johnson and other xtal rigs of that era...most were cut with an "Offset" built in...meaning channel X? is not really cut for that freq....it's cut for that channel +/- the TX/RX "IF" freq...
All the Best
BJ

BJ that depends on the band IIRC. An 80m xtal will also work on 40m. As for 11m operation I did put mine there once or twice just to piss a few people off that were splattering all over. I modded the VFO to drive it down to 11m. You have to be VERY careful with the audio drive. The single 6146B final is grid modulated and there is way more drive available than is needed. It will overmodulate and splatter easily and burn up twh tube easily doing that too. I succeeded in doing what I wanted to do and removed the VFO mod as it affected all the bands and the dial meant nothing.
BTW the receiver used witb it needs to have a remote mute finction to switch off when you transmit. You don't just turn the volume down.

You must use xtals that are "Fundemental"...meaning the xtal must be cut for that specific freq.... xtal's that were cut for like the old Johnson and other xtal rigs of that era...most were cut with an "Offset" built in...meaning channel X? is not really cut for that freq....it's cut for that channel +/- the TX/RX "IF" freq...
All the Best
BJ

Hah?

Something like a Telsat SSB 100 channel mixing.

Hah?

Something like a Telsat SSB 100 channel mixing.

No. One crystal equals one ftequency to operate on. Two crystals equals two frequencies to operate on etc. It only has a few sockets for crystals thus only a few separate freqs unless you have the VFO.

What do you want to do with it? Unless you are familiar with separate tx/rx and it sure sounds like you are not,I see trouble ahead. This is a classic piece of ham gear and a lot of guys would want it if in decent shape. Winding it up on 11m is a waste of good gear IMHO as I believe it will end up getting fried. No offense meant just that you have no idea what it is,no idea how to operate it, and no idea what that poor little 6146B is going to be put thru if you even try to run it loud and proud. If you insist on running it on 11m please be gentle with it.

BJ that depends on the band IIRC. An 80m xtal will also work on 40m. As for 11m operation I did put mine there once or twice just to piss a few people off that were splattering all over. I modded the VFO to drive it down to 11m. You have to be VERY careful with the audio drive. The single 6146B final is grid modulated and there is way more drive available than is needed. It will overmodulate and splatter easily and burn up twh tube easily doing that too. I succeeded in doing what I wanted to do and removed the VFO mod as it affected all the bands and the dial meant nothing.
BTW the receiver used witb it needs to have a remote mute finction to switch off when you transmit. You don't just turn the volume down.

CK: You know, I know that!....but....I can also figure out where this is going:headbang
All the Best
Gary

.... and there ain't nothing wrong with the direction it's going either...

If you can direct me to the right way to do this??? :LOL:

Hpw do I connect the receiver/CB radio/any radio to the transmitter?

All I saw on the rear panel was a UHF connector(ANT Output), VFO input, and Accessory plug. Time 3:37 on the vid.
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBcmFiYi7WM[/VIDEO]

I also saw one vid where the was an automatic switch box that switches the antenna from the TXer to the RXer vice versa.

I am also getting a Kenwood Trio 9R - 59 receiver with it as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.