• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heavy Duty 3 pin power plug

This is being 'picky', but does make a little sense. The different sized fuses in that power cord are not a good idea. The smaller of the two in the negative lead would seem to be the determining factor as to how much current will reach the radio. The negative lead isn't the best place for that 'limiting' fuse, since there can be other 'ground' connections involved in the mounting etc. I know that depends on the radio, but it's something to keep in mind. It wouldn't be a good idea with the radios I happen to have, yours probably aren't the same, so... The heavier wire used is a good idea in my opinion. That get's into the distance that supply line has to run and the total resistance of the complete supply line, so it's a different 'ball of wax'. What would be 'heavy duty' in one situation doesn't have to be 'heavy duty' in others.
- 'Doc

Wouldn't having a lower value fuse on one leg cause the resistance to be higher on the negative leg making is subject to overheating?

It seems to me if a circuit doesn't draw enough amps to blow a 4 amp fuse then what's the sense of putting a larger value fuse on the other leg?

Thus defeating the purpose of having larger wire to start with, is this the start of another "CB MYTH"?

?:bdh: ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.