• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help Figuring out beam antenna

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
There is a KOA campground near my house that I stayed in over the Memorial Day weekend. As I pulled up to the main office I looked up and sitting in front of me was this big beautiful Beam antenna. I asked if it was still in use which they replied, NO. They use to use it to talk to truckers on the highway. I called them today to see if they would be interested in getting that monster off there roof and make alittle cash at the same time and they agreed. I will try to describe it the best I can and maybe someone can tell me what kind it is and what the approimate cost new would have been. Here it goes............ There are eight elements on a long boom, not sure of the length maybe 15'-20' or more. Four elements are vertical and four horizontal. On some of the ends of the elements there is a single wire stretched around like a square and on others there are two parrallel wires in the same configuration. Any help in identifying this antenna would greatly appreciated.

quad

If the two double elements are the driver it sounds like you found a old hy-gain big gun.Sould weigh about 50 to 55 lbs.You probably won't want it so I"ll send you shipping and you can send it to me. :D

'MSJ',
That's a question that almost can't be answered, sort of. It depends entirely on what it's 'worth' to you, and 'her'. If you can find it, figure about 1/3 to 1/2 the original sales price, on an average. (Or ask 'her' what they paid for it and offer 30% give or take some.) Considering what 'new' prices are now, whatever you have to give for it ought to be better, another one of those "sort of" thingys.
About the two wires being close together on one 'element', there's usually one of three answers for that. Made to operate over two bands, or two fairly close together. Used together simulate a lager conductor. Or a sales gimmick. Which is it? Beats me!
- 'Doc

How about the dual polarity thingy, sort of. Which might be said to be a fourth idea maybe.

I never pay for a used antenna that I remove. I tell them that my labor makes it a wash if I keep the antenna. In other words, it don't cost you anything and it don't cost me anything, other than my time. Sometimes I charge to take them down and charge to haul it away! Those are the good deals, but rare!

Quad

k14msj,Go to cb tricks .com and look under antenna's,You will find the hy-gain big gun there.It is a dual polarity quad.If you can get it free for taking it down it would be worth the rebuid.But parts are getting really hard to find.If you try to take that thing down by yourself be carefull, it's very heavy and very awkward to handle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.