• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help me assemble my field station

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I need to get serious about my field station. My mobile station is real good, but I need to be able to do better with the antenna situation. Help me put this thing together.

For starters, I'm planning on using my Yaesu 897d with LDG-AT897 tuner. I have marine batteries that I plan on using, hooked up to a generator to maintain adequate charge levels as they deplete. The primary thing I need to figure out is a good field antenna setup.

I'm thinking of using this for the mast:

Heavy duty fiberglass push-up masts with convenient thumb clamps!

I need to be able to operate 75m, 40m and higher. Due to the fact that a push-up mast like that only will go to about 40', I've been considering a shortened dipole with coils to help shorten the 75/80m segment. Both Alpha Delta and MFJ make these, but I haven't settled on a particular one. Obviously weight is a concern with this mast.

I was also thinking of using 450 ohm ladder line to an inverted V. If I use a fiberglass push up mast like the one above, I need to figure out how to mount it in the ground. I need to figure out how to guy it. I need to figure out how to be able to get the dipole suspended from it.

Help me build this. I plan on being able to set this up and try it toward the end of October in the Mojave desert. I will have a TNC with me and be able to send email to anyone that would like a contact that helps me with this :)

OK, let me assume that you will consider buying a antenna ?

If so, then the Cobra Ultra Lite Jr. looks good to me. Read Reviews on eham. Cobra UltraLite Antennas - The Alternative Multi-Band Solution - Home Page

If not then you can build your own. :) It looks as if the mounting bracket and feed
line as well as antenna will be taken care of.

How about a inverted V config. ? If so then buy a couple more fiberglass poles
at the 8ft. length they offer.

Antenna is 140 ft. long so it will be a bit less as a V. Also be sure and look at the Jr. at 73ft. and
read the FAQs on their site. The Jr. may do the job for you.

Guying will be no problem ! just use rope of your choice and make loops at the
point on mast that you figure is about right as it will go up as mast is extended.

To stake out I will leave that one to you, Not knowing how the surface of ground
will be. However tent stakes from Wal Mart or where ever will probley work OK.

Do you have a mental picture of this ? I am sure that you do. A light weight antenna
from all that I have read and good reviews.

Best Regards,
John _ KD5WJY

Last edited:
Either one of those would probably do the job, although the Cobra looks like it would perform better on 75m, which is an important consideration. I haven't quite figured out how to attach any thing to the mast yet. Maybe some type of small pulley that could be attached somehow would be good? For guys, I think the tent stakes would work fine, except over asphalt or concrete, in which case I need to have a plan B.

Mole',
This is sort of late, but might be worth thinking about.
Any portable operation is a compromise in lots of ways, you just can't be assured of "good as at home" performance. Certainly not something you shouldn't strive for, but not to practical to take for granted. Unless that 'portable' station is going to be there for some time, it's usually a "do the best that you can" sort of thingy, in a not too 'good' location. If it is going to be there for some time, then move to a 'better' location (not all that unusual).
So, a 'quick-n-dirty' type of thingy, or a very simple type thingy, is typically the best that you can do/expect. One such antenna of the 'quick-n-dirty' variety is the one you suggested to start with. A doublet of longer than necessary length fed with ladder line through a tuner. The 'biggy' in that type situation is the tuner. The typical built-in type tuner just won't cut it in most cases. The bigger, uglier, more heavy-duty and inconvenient the thing is, the better it will work (to some ridiculous extent determined by you).
Will that produce a very good signal in all cases? No, but probably better than just 'barely usable', and that's all thats usually expected when you get right down to it.
Lots of power usually isn't feasible, and not really all that much of a necessity. Nice, but not really practical, typically. Hey, that's what all them relay stations are for, right?
What are some of the things you wish you had that you didn't bring? A spare doo-hicky for everything would be nice! Another one of them not very practical thingys though. Something that is practical and not all that much of a bother is rope/cord/string, and something to cut it with. And extra wire, as in lots of it, and something to cut it with too. Paper and pencils! Saves wear and tear on the old brain cells. And of course, lots of beer! Works very well as a bribe, 'solves' more problems than you'd believe.
And then there's the reason for this portable operation. The more serious that reason, the more extra junk you will wish you had thought of (keep notes!).
That's about as general as you can get. The other thing is that you ought'a have fun doing whatever it is that necessitates that portable operations thingy, even if it's serious. Oooo, lots of ideas there. I don't care how 'weird' it is, if it works, that's what counts.
- 'Doc

Tape! I forgot tape. Electrical and 'duck'!

The military antenna mast would be a much cheaper and portable idea. They have them on Ebay for around $25. Just make sure you get the metal not fiberglass. The kit will also have guy ring, rope and stakes all in a bag. Then take a pulley, mounted by a screw or clamp of some kind. As far as the antenna goes, I have run the Cobra Ultralite Jr. and it works great but a Carolina Windom or G5RV will work also. Don't forget that you may not need a mast. Suspend the antenna in trees. Good luck. By the way. I have some pics posted of my portable 897D. Look here.......
http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-ham-radio-discussion/28833-ultimate-mobile.html for mobile and here for portable.........My Albums: KI4MSJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.