• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP. PLEASE!!!

The manual says that neutralization may be necessary if V11 oscillates with no drive applied and the antenna disconnected. I don't know if there is an easy way to tell if it is oscillating. Part of the neutralizing procedure is with the unit keyed up. These are the only clues from the manual about wanting to swap the tube and try it.
Mike once exspainder the neutralization process to me because I was curious and asked him. It's definitely not something that I will be doing. I'm just going to pack it up and send it out. No matter what the issue he will repair it and send it back. It's not something that's irrevocable, That I know. I'm not that concerned although I would still like to know if II could use the transmitter without the tube being neutralized. I did read the neutralization procedure and surprisingly understood how to test the transceiver in order to know if the final needs to be neutralized or not. If it's not oscillating without keying the mic (and no antenna) it doesn't need to be neutralized. According to the manual the 6BQ5 doesn't always necessarily need to be neutralized. It also mentions that if certain factory settings were changed that it would most likely need neutralization. If I read it correctly of course. STM. Thanks 4 taking the time to help me out. My electric is currently out and the generator is running. It's a 9000 watt generator and takes care of just about three-quarters of the house. So we do have cable, light, and Heat. The three Essentials in my opinion. The issue with the sonar is secondary to this Nor'easter, and the power outages. I will probably bubble wrap, styrofoam, and box up the radio by Monday. I know In the end the radio will be working as it was or possibly even better. Whatever it is that took a dump may have been on its way out for a while, and causing less-than-stellar operating conditions (audio.) I do want to thank everyone who replied to my posting. If you live in the Northeast please be safe out there .it's brutal in NJ. I know my friend stm is probably going through a similar situation at the moment. I I hope that your electric is working and if not I hope your generator is firing on all cylinders. Godspeed.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
You never mentioned this, but have you given it a COMPLETE alignment ?? Typically, rf output begins to drop at the edges of the VCO's frequency range. 1st, find someone with a tester and check all the tubes. If they test good, give the radio a COMPLETE alignment. I looks like you have multiple problems, but without checking the tubes and knowing the rig is properly aligned you'll never get anywhere. Once this is done, you can examine everything with a 'scope and a RF VOM and find the problem.

Reactions: Sonar
You never mentioned this, but have you given it a COMPLETE alignment ?? Typically, rf output begins to drop at the edges of the VCO's frequency range. 1st, find someone with a tester and check all the tubes. If they test good, give the radio a COMPLETE alignment. I looks like you have multiple problems, but without checking the tubes and knowing the rig is properly aligned you'll never get anywhere. Once this is done, you can examine everything with a 'scope and a RF VOM and find the problem.

Thanks for all your input. I can't do any of those things you mentioned. The rigs getting boxed up and sent out next week. The last time it was alighted was about three years ago when it was restored. Thanks again 399.

Good luck getting it squared away. Please let us know the outcome ... what your tech found, and what he did to fix it.

I absolutely will do so. Thanks for all your help. I always appreciate it, and try my best to pay it forward. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.