• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help With Amplifier Set Up For Semi Truck

slyder

Apr 26, 2009
Hi All,
First time posting on forum! I would like to get some advice on amplifiers. I'm setting this up for a semi truck with a 200 amp alternator and 4 batteries.
My current set up is Stryker 447 radio driving a 2 pill Fat Boy with a watt and a half dead key. I am very happy with this set up but would like to have about 800 - 900 watt range for talking skip. I would like to come up with some type of set up to run my 2 pill all the time, then when skip is rolling have a separate amp to turn on.
I have some options I've been thinking about:

Option #1 Buy a 6 pill, then use 2 pill to drive it ( 2separate boxes)

Option #2 2 pill driving an 8 pill, all in 1 box. Not sure if can be set up to turn just the 2 pill on separately from the 8 pill.

Option #3 Sell my 2 pill Fat Boy. Use a Texas Star V modulator ( puts out 80 -100 watts ) all the time, run that into a Texas Star 1200 Hot Plate via remote when skip is rolling. ( 2 separate boxes )

Option #4 Sell 2 pill Fat Boy. Buy a Texas Star 1600 V. I've been told 1600V supposed to be set up so you can talk on 350 watt linear all the time or use the 350 watts to drive the 8 pill, or use a separate amp altogether to drive 8 pill.

What kind of wattage will these combinations put out without stressing anything out on 13.9 volts?

I'm working with a guy that has all kinds of linears but no 6 pills. He has a 1600V priced better than most amps,500.00. I'm wondering if that's because it's not as good.
If anyone has a straight 6 or 8 pill they'd like to sell, shoot me a price and condition.
I'm open to all suggestions and advice.
Thanks, Slyder

Hello and welcome to the forum.

First off you have a false perception of how skip works. The best part about skip is YOU HAVE NO CONTROL over it. Mother nature is in charge. This is why you can talk coast to coat on 20-30 watts.

That said unless you are into all the crap on channel 6 for example, MOPOWA for skip is piontless. You have a nice kick butt mobile as is.

If you want more then get a straight 6 pill Davemade, X-force, Fatboy, or whatever cutom built amp is your fav.

Some day when you want to really have fun get a nice SSB radio, run 200-300 watts, and talk all over the world when DX is rolling. For now enjoy talking smack with the AM DX crowd.

Reactions: 3 people
Hi All,
First time posting on forum! I would like to get some advice on amplifiers. I'm setting this up for a semi truck with a 200 amp alternator and 4 batteries.
My current set up is Stryker 447 radio driving a 2 pill Fat Boy with a watt and a half dead key. I am very happy with this set up but would like to have about 800 - 900 watt range for talking skip. I would like to come up with some type of set up to run my 2 pill all the time, then when skip is rolling have a separate amp to turn on.
I have some options I've been thinking about:

Option #1 Buy a 6 pill, then use 2 pill to drive it ( 2separate boxes)

Option #2 2 pill driving an 8 pill, all in 1 box. Not sure if can be set up to turn just the 2 pill on separately from the 8 pill.

Option #3 Sell my 2 pill Fat Boy. Use a Texas Star V modulator ( puts out 80 -100 watts ) all the time, run that into a Texas Star 1200 Hot Plate via remote when skip is rolling. ( 2 separate boxes )

Option #4 Sell 2 pill Fat Boy. Buy a Texas Star 1600 V. I've been told 1600V supposed to be set up so you can talk on 350 watt linear all the time or use the 350 watts to drive the 8 pill, or use a separate amp altogether to drive 8 pill.

What kind of wattage will these combinations put out without stressing anything out on 13.9 volts?

I'm working with a guy that has all kinds of linears but no 6 pills. He has a 1600V priced better than most amps,500.00. I'm wondering if that's because it's not as good.
If anyone has a straight 6 or 8 pill they'd like to sell, shoot me a price and condition.
I'm open to all suggestions and advice.
Thanks, Slyder

Sell everything and get a Cobra 29 and a DAVEMADE

I'll second the suggestion for a SSB radio. IO don't really care how much power you run but please make sure your radio is transmitting a clean signal to start with and not splattering all over the place etc. :) I hate being on one channel and hearing someone else, three to five channels away from the channel I'm on.

BTW what's your antenna setup? Your antenna setup can make a difference also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.