• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP with HIGH SWR icon on Yaesu FT-900

frostbite

Mar 16, 2008
COOMA NSW AUSTRALIA
Hi to ALL,
Firstly let me say a big G'Day from Australia - I am new here and found this site while searching the net to try and find some information regarding a problem with my Transceiver, so here I am and I am looking for some help if possible please....

The problem i have is very similar to what some people are having with the Yaesu FT-100 radio - everything seems fine for a while when transmitting, but then the SWR bargraph across the bottom of the display screen will jump to half way, then all the way across to the right and the "HIGH SWR" icon will come on then it will dissapear for a while - it keeps flashing back and forth whilst talking and the other people I am talking to comment on fluctuating signal/audio - and sometimes even on the Receive, the signal & audio will fluctuate from almost nothing to normal levels (S2 - S9) and back again...... TX/RX seem to be all over the shop....

The rig - FT-900, seems to get quite warm when this is happening but I don't persist with any lengthy QSO's.... I have checked both antenna systems, the 80m Superloop & the Vertical multiband, the feedlines/coax and any patch leads and tuners - everything in these departments are all OK....

That leaves the radio itself, and after finding some sites where some owners of the FT-100 are experiencing similar problems, I may try some of the mods suggested and adapt them for the FT-900 and see if any improvment, maybe they will work - maybe they won't, haven't tried them as yet - thought I would ask on this site and see if I get any assistance for the problem I have... Maybe someone has had experience with the FT-900 in this area of troubleshooting....

If there is anyone out there who may be able to offer assistance and maybe a FIX for the Problem, then I would like to hear from you please...
I need help with this one as I am only new to Amateur Radio here in Australia and my knowledge base is limited - but ever expanding... I can't really afford to get a technician to repair it (unless I absolutely have to) as I am on a pension and not flush with money and I would like to see if I can repair it myself and gain valuable knowledge in the process....

Many Thanks, 73's
Greg VK2FFLH
(Foundation Licence holder in Australia, Soon to upgrade to the Standard Licence in a few weeks if I pass the exam/s)

I hear this could be a grounding problem in the LPF circuit which may explain the TX and RX problems you are seeing. I believe the problem may not be apparent through a dummy load, but when using an antenna with feed-line.

Some have mentioned varying the feed-line length (RF hot spots), but I believe for the FT-100 is was the LPF ground that worked in most (if not all) cases. If you purchased this new, I would send it back, if used then I would check/research more into this modification if it is viable for the FT-900.

Check the connection that connects to the antenna jack.Also check the retaining nut on the jack itself. These have been known to work loose and that will cause an intermittant high SWR that will never be found on an external meter.

Thanks to ALL -

Hi and Thanks to ALL who have written here - It looks like I may have solved the problem - everything working as it should now - I replaced the Changeover Realy on the LPF board - it was the First in line with the Antenna SO-239 socket on the board (and Last on the way out) - TX/RX is now stable and NO HIGH SWR indicator happening - I was fortunate to get hold of 3 of the relays from an Amateur operator in Melbourne Australia for $3 each - Cheap as chips.... (have 2 spares on hand now) - the relay is a Matsushita NR-SD-12V for anyones referal...

Thanks to ALL for your input - it is appreciated.... Hope to talk with you one day on air....

Cheers, 73's
Greg - VK2FFLH -
COOMA NSW
AUSTRALIA.

Good stuff Greg! (y) Glad you found the problem. A relay hey? I just never thought about a relay.:blushing: I figured it had to be something internally in the radio between the SWR sensing circuit and the antenna connector. I had an Icom IC-735 that did pretty much what you described and it turned out to be a bad solder connection where the one inch long solid wire connected the antenna jack to the circuit board. I replaced it with a piece of stranded wire and it never happened again.Thanks for letting us know what the problem was and that you have it fixed.

Yaesu FT-900 Still working Great.....

Hi to All -
Just thought I would drop in and give an update on the Yaesu FT-900 - it has been a reasonable time for evaluation and happy to say All is Well with the radio - no problems, looks like I nailed it in one.....

Also I wish to advise of my NEW Callsign as I have upgraded my Licence here in Australia... I am now a Standard Licence operator with the call of - VK2MTC - for your interest/reference.... Which now enables me to run 100w and gives me a couple more bands to work including 20m & 6m (+ 80m, 40m, 15m, 10m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm, plus another one higher) ...

All good - I look forward to maybe working a few USA stations & Europe etc on 20m soon .....

Take care, 73 & Good DX
Greg - VK2MTC
COOMA NSW
Australia.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.