• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with HRD Please

VA3HRO

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 19, 2012
HELP!!!!!!

I have been trying for days to connect to Ham Radio Deluxe. I have a Yaesu FT-990 and I have the cat cable. I connected 1 time to HRD so I know the cable is OK ( I hope) I signed out of the HRD and I never was able to reconnect. My Cat cable is a USB type so I downloaded the driver (serial to USB) prolific and that didn't work, I also downloaded usrobotics serial to USB driver and this is the drive that I used to connect that one time. I deleted the HRD software program and driver several times and re-installed them and still can connect. I have checked my com port and baud rate.....I even tried to auto-detect and still no go...In device manager I see the driver and its active...

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated..

Mike
VA3HRO

Well I am no expert, but lets start with the basics.

is it plugged in to the cat port ?

you have already said you have checked the device manager. And you say there is no problems correct ?

lets verify the serial settings
the transceiver is factory set for 4800 baud and most likely 8,n,2 with no flow control. ( yes i know i put 2 in the stop bits, page 40 in the manual)
make sure HRD is set for the correct serial port and correct baud rate, 8 data bit, no parity, and 2 stop bits

I am sure that you checked all this stuff first though.

Well I am no expert, but lets start with the basics.

is it plugged in to the cat port ?

you have already said you have checked the device manager. And you say there is no problems correct ?

lets verify the serial settings
the transceiver is factory set for 4800 baud and most likely 8,n,2 with no flow control. ( yes i know i put 2 in the stop bits, page 40 in the manual)
make sure HRD is set for the correct serial port and correct baud rate, 8 data bit, no parity, and 2 stop bits

I am sure that you checked all this stuff first though.

Where can I find this stuff "8 data bit, no parity, and 2 stop bits" Ok I found this and thats what I have and still no go...

Thanks for the reply

Last edited:
Mike:

The Prolific junk does not work with HRD.

I had the same problem when first trying to hook my 746 Pro to HRD.

You need the FTDI USB driver. (Google is your friend).

If the cable has the Prolific chip in it...toss it. It won't work either.

There are various places on the net to find the FTDI cables. Rat Shack has a scanner programming cable with the FTDI chip. This is what I use...it works fine. It is a little short though, 36" IIRC.

Hope this helps.

73 de AC8IR

dit dit

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.