• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with Monkey Made antenna

For a non-18 wheeler, always remember:

ONE antenna
Top of the roof
Right in the middle of the highest point of the vehicle.

It slices,
It dices,
It solves all your CB crises.

Doesn't look 'cool' or 'bad-ass', but even a wilson little wil will perform better than dual shortened mirror or bed-mounted antennas in this situation.

No, you can't run 3 megawatts through it.

But if you can run 3 megawatts, why are you wasting your time and money on a CB, anyways?

I think of CB antennas on mobiles as a balance of priorities. Figure where to give and where to take - pick your antenna and mounting location.

For me = always roof top and as long as possible.

Reactions: ButtFuzz
Thanks for all the help guys. I had ordered a replacement K-40 whip, large bird hit antenna going down the highway, and it came in shortly after I posted this.

I went and picked up the whip and went over to his house and decided to try some things since I wasn't convinced he had done the first checks correctly after talking to him again. I took my new whip and used zip ties to attach it to his whip to make it longer by a couple of inches.

Took some reading and it was into the red zone big time. Had him push the add-on down some and took another reading and guess what, it got better. Kept doing this until it was flush with what he had and it got better each time. So I asked him some more queations and it turns out that what he had done before wasn't exactly what I had thougth he had done.

Put the k-40 whip into it instead of his since the k-40 was about half inch shorter and it got better still. chopped off 1 inch from his a quarter inch at a time before he was called into the house for supper and it was down to 1.9:1 at that point. Left my hacksaw with him and said have fun and be careful.

He doesn't want me to say who he bought the radio from. When he put it in his truck they kept telling him that couldn't hear him but he had a strong signal. Put it on the meter and dead key was way up and it only managed to get about 60 percent modulation with tone injected into the microphone.

After retuning it lowered the dead key and now get more swing and 95 percent modulation with the tone injection. And now sometimes they tell him to turn the mic down when he is close by.

Anyway looks like with a lot of chopping he will get it going. Just goes to show you that it is best to forget what you have been told and do some of your own checks prior to doing anything that can change things. And it helps to have some spare antenna parts laying arouond. That k-40 whip sure helped to show what really needed to be done.

Thanks again guys for the feedback.
4 JAN @ 1400
Today I received my new 10K Competition Plus Predator with the 22" staff and installed it on my pick-up.
The antenna's length was 53" prior to trimming-down to get a good VSWR.
At 53", the VSWR was about 6! First guess cut was 2-1/4" which reduced the VSWR down to about 4. Next cut of 1-7/8" brought the VSWR down to 3.8 and now I was getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. Cut, cut and more cutting at 1/2" increments. Final length from the top of the corona ball / tip to the bottom of the mast is 42-15/16". VSWR is 1.2:1 to 1.4:1 across all the channels. Good enough for today because the rain shut me down. To be continued tomorrow. The diameter of the mast is 0.150" and is not tapered.
With the combination of the 22" shaft plus the height of the Breedlove Quick Disconnect fixture, the bottom of the coil is at least 1-1/2" above the top of the roof. A 24" shaft would probably be better, but the next size shaft is 27".

I’m not familiar with what all they have going on these days...is a “Competition Plus” any different than the original 10k?
Ha! ha! ha! Who the heck knows? Probably just another marketing gimmick with a new model name and I fell for it.....lol...lol...lol! One thing for certain is that it is not short like the new MAX 2000.....lol....lol...lol!
I found the following statement which does not tell us anything.
"The competition series is designed specifically for the CB enthusiast providing unmatched performance combined with a lifetime manufacturer warranty. This antenna just plain rocks!"

Ha! ha! ha! Who the heck knows? Probably just another marketing gimmick with a new model name and I fell for it.....lol...lol...lol! One thing for certain is that it is not short like the new MAX 2000.....lol....lol...lol!
I found the following statement which does not tell us anything.
"The competition series is designed specifically for the CB enthusiast providing unmatched performance combined with a lifetime manufacturer warranty. This antenna just plain rocks!"

Well, I guess that says it all...haha.

I ran one on my Dodge 1500 (17”) and liked it a lot. My son still uses it. Not sure if it was a “competition plus” or not!

I’m not familiar with what all they have going on these days...is a “Competition Plus” any different than the original 10k?
Additional information.
The 10K Competition Predator antenna has two added "coil turns" to make the antenna shorter. This model is usually best for big trucks. The overall length after tuning will be around 5'6" to 5'8". The manufacture states that the Competition antenna is only 1-2" longer than the older dual coil antennas and that they will out preform the dual coil antennas. This is way we are not currently carrying the dual coil models. The purpose of the dual coil was to allow a shorter overall antenna of around 5'6". The newer single coil competition model "with added coil turns" is about the same length as the older dual coil models and is a slightly better preforming antenna.

Ok, that makes sense.

I actually read a bit before I asked....I’m not entirely convinced that the retailers have their head around this :)

Ok, that makes sense.

I actually read a bit before I asked....I’m not entirely convinced that the retailers have their head around this :)
This afternoon I started with a 53" stinger and finished with a 42-15/16" stinger to obtain a 1.2:1.
Thirty-minutes ago I trimmed-off another 1/8" and the VSWR did not change. 8-1/2" of the stinger gets inserted and bottoms-out into the main section. Maybe another 1/8" trim job will reduce the VSWR below 1.2:1 and maybe not. I'm not going to get wrapped-up around the axle trying to be a perfectionist and I'm leaving the antenna as-is.

Ok, that makes sense.

More research info below.
"The Competition Plus Predator antenna has a longer insulator (about 2") for less loss. The section the whip slides into is also about 2" longer. The overall antenna length after tuning is around 6'. The Predator Competition Plus antenna will out preform the lower priced Predator antennas".

Reactions: 2NC995
Get JesseJamesDallas on the blower. Knows everything worth knowing about PREDATOR (including long acquaintance with the owner).

Somewhere (online) I’ve seen him lay out differences, and how to choose components.

CLAY’S RADIO SHOP for a retailer equally knowledgeable.

This afternoon I started with a 53" stinger and finished with a 42-15/16" stinger to obtain a 1.2:1.
Thirty-minutes ago I trimmed-off another 1/8" and the VSWR did not change. 8-1/2" of the stinger gets inserted and bottoms-out into the main section. Maybe another 1/8" trim job will reduce the VSWR below 1.2:1 and maybe not. I'm not going to get wrapped-up around the axle trying to be a perfectionist and I'm leaving the antenna as-is.

Gee, why not? I was literally wrapped around the Dodge 1-ton drive axle today investigating where to RF bond bed to frame.

My advice is to stick with the 22 or 27 inch original single coil 10K.
Both of those antennas have had extensive testing, not only by users, but years ago by a couple of RF guys with some $$ equipment.
The "Q" of those two antennas was good.
I have other reasons not to recommend the longer coil but I won't open that can of worms again.
Basically , Kale is good with his machine work and has a good warranty.
His price on those 2 antennas are more than fair.
I have always bought directly from him.

Jeff

My advice is to stick with the 22 or 27 inch original single coil 10K.
Both of those antennas have had extensive testing, not only by users, but years ago by a couple of RF guys with some $$ equipment.
The "Q" of those two antennas was good.
I have other reasons not to recommend the longer coil but I won't open that can of worms again.
Basically , Kale is good with his machine work and has a good warranty.
His price on those 2 antennas are more than fair.
I have always bought directly from him.

Jeff

I won’t disagree with one word here except maybe to say that any Predator is a good antenna, no a great antenna.

Reactions: jessejamesdallas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.