• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help With Parts Location. Icom 746PRO AM TX Improvements

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Hey gang, kid on Christmas morning. Finally have been able to score the wanted rig, 746PRO. Is performing beautifully on all RX and SSB/FM TX. Amazing rig and features. This rig, like many, has a few flaws which all all well documented in the community and with accompanying fixes. I enjoy AM on 10 meters and any other band, there is a sizable AM community on 80M.

Certain or all version runs of this rig have a design flaw causing poor AM audio and I am stuck with one of these as well. The flaw & fix is documented at the below link and numerous other places.
KB2LJJ Radio Mods Database

I am competent to replace these parts and make any after-adjustments.

I was not however supplied with a schematic nor do I think a typical schematic would help me. What I would need is a pictorial physical layout type diagram.

What I need is for someone who has performed this mod, or if you can find any other article by someone who has, can tell me WHERE these parts are inside the radio. A pic would be of best value but if someone could otherwise precisely guide me to where they are, that would do it.

Per the linked article I need the physical location of C305, Q306 and R407

And for someone who has performed this mod, it calls for replacing Q306 transistor with a mosfet substitution. Will the pinout of the mosfet be different than the existing transistor?

Any other advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help!

icom746pro

i have a copy of the service manual on pdf file i can send you if you want it. i can send it a an attachment. contact me rjtrow41@yahoo.com
WD4FCJ richard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.