• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here I "CODE" Again.......

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Sorry, I couldn't help myself with that thread title......:blush:

OK...now for the history part......

Back in '88 when I first got into amateur radio, I had to learn Morse Code, and pass the 5 wpm test for my Novice ticket. Got myself a Bencher Iambic paddle, the beginner tapes from Radio Shack, and barley passed the test. I continued to work at it, and was able to read 6 to 8 wpm, but I had one problem......
With that Iambic paddle I was able to send 15 wpm, but couldn't copy any thing faster than 6 to 8....made for some confusion during CW contacts....

This time around....
I want to re-learn the code again, without the pressure of having to know it, makes learning it more of a pleasure than a neccessary task. But this time I plan to take a different approach....
I just ordered a straight key, I figured using a key will help to keep my ability to send in pace with my ability to read. Then once I do get more proficient with the code, I can add a high speed bug.....

I'm getting a Vibroplex key, I know I could have gotten a Bencher for less, but there's something about the Vibroplex that just appealed to me, don't know if it was their history, their looks, or reputation, but it spoke to me....
Kinda like the D-104 microphone....I just had to have one......

Now I just gotta get my mind right, and start learning this new language all over again......;)

straight_key_standard.jpg

Nice looking key. My favorite was a Kent straight key. Good luck on the CW, I don't make CW QSO's any longer but still enjoy listening to CW beacon’s.

Nice looking key. My favorite was a Kent straight key.

This is what I started CW with.A Brown Brothers Machine Company BTL-A iambic paddle.

214.jpg

I would love to have an ST-A like this one however.

brown_sta.jpg

All the Brown Brothers keys and paddles were numbered and hand made and finished by Bill Brown himself working in his basement shop with machining equipment he built himself. When he packed it in a local ham dealer here, VE1AI, flew to Mo. to look at purchasing the manufacturing gear and rights but it would have been impossible to remove everything as it was all custom built into Bills basement. Sadley a great line of keys and paddles faded into oblivion.

Cool looking old keys QRN, that iambic paddle looks like it's built rock solid....

Here's a question....(Beetle probably knows the answer to this one)....will I be able to use my Kenwood TS-130 for practice, or will I need to get a practice oscillator....?

Used to have a neat little battery powered one from MFJ, it only cost about 20 bucks back then, but I no longer seen it in their online catalog. The cheapest thing they got now costs 100 bucks......

You should be able to turn off the VOX and just listen to the sidetone in the 130.

I've never used a 130, so can't say for sure. Most rigs, however, allow you to switch the VOX (or QSK, or "break in") off. Turn the volume control up.

A Few of My Keys

This is a small group of my goodies. I have maybe 20 or so paddles and straight keys,
I prefer my straight keys but will paddle along in occasions!(y)
All the Best
BJ

Attachments

• My Keys 1.JPG
    My Keys 1.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 171
  • My Keys 2.JPG
    My Keys 2.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 182
  • My Keys 3.JPG
    My Keys 3.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 160
Code Key update....

Lately I started to wonder if Vibroplex was ever going to send me my key, then this morning I was thumbing through the latest edition of CQ magazine and came across their add showing a special edition "Know Code" straight key with a red base and knob.
I call Vibroplex and ask about the status of my order, and the lady tells me they are still waiting on parts to come back from the chroming shop, and that my order is number 30 in line.....:blink:

So I ask about this special edition "Know Code" straight key, if they had them in stock, ready to ship, and how much more did they cost.....

End result....for 30 bucks more I'm now getting the special edition "Know Code" straight key, and it should be shipped out by the first of next week. If I opted to wait for the standard key I could be looking at another month....(I hate waiting for stuff)......

It is legal to send code for practice over the air. Just do it where there is no activity( like 10 meter), and ID at least every ten minits. I like to practice on 28.085 when there are truckers on there.
Rich
N8FGB

It is legal to send code for practice over the air. Just do it where there is no activity( like 10 meter), and ID at least every ten minits. I like to practice on 28.085 when there are truckers on there.
Rich
N8FGB

I don't really know the answer to that one, but I would assume that if you are on a band you are licensed to operate on, within the CW segment of that band, are not sending any offensive material, and you ID yourself....then you'd just be having a one sided conversation via CW.....

Truckers talking on 28.085........:glare:......that sounds to me like freebanders invading the CW portion of 10 meters......:thumbdown:

Rich
N8FGB

If it's just you - if you're not actually having a QSO, you should turn the VOX off and just use the sidetone. You don't HAVE to be on the air if you're just practicing by yourself, truckers or not.

You might want to look into the Koch method to learn CW. You basically learn each character at full speed (say 20wpm) and keep adding characters when you copy at +90%. This way you learn code by the sound not by looking up the series of dots and dashes in your head. You also don't have to keep learnin g the code everytime you increase speed.

You might want to look into the Koch method to learn CW. You basically learn each character at full speed (say 20wpm) and keep adding characters when you copy at +90%. This way you learn code by the sound not by looking up the series of dots and dashes in your head. You also don't have to keep learnin g the code everytime you increase speed.

My new Vibroplex "Know Code" straight key finally arrived yesterday, and it came with a tutorial CD that uses the Koch method. It starts with the letter "A" and keeps replaying it until it sounds out at 20 wpm, then repeats it several times, then goes to the letter "B", after it works you through "B", it adds them together and tests you on both A & B. Then it moves on to C, D, F.......

Using the built in oscillator on my TS-130S, I play along with the CD so I get sending practice along with copying practice.
One thing I have discovered is, a straight key does slow you down a little, and takes more effort than the Bencher iambic I first learned on.
Once I get back up to speed I'm going to ask for an original bug key for my birthday......;)

TheShack009.jpg

TheShack011.jpg

TheShack008.jpg

As I mentioned before, I was bidding on an MFJ-462B code reader on eBay, well either the seller has a schill working for him, or someone else wants it worse than me, there's only been one other bidder, and every time I beat his top bid, the same bidder comes back with another one higher. He managed to drive the price up over $100.00, I decided instead of continuing this pissing contest that could result in me paying way too much for a used code reader, it was just a better choice to let them have it at that inflated price, and buy one new straight from MFJ for $200.00.
As it was pointed out to me after winning the MFJ-949C antenna tuner, I paid more than a used one was worth, and I wasn't going to let that happen again, especially on a used unit that could be defective.....

Assuming MFJ actually has them in stock...(because HRO did not).....I should have it in a couple of days....

Now before the finger wagging starts, I'm not going to use this device as a substitute for learning to read code, I want it as an aid in learning to read code, and also so I can intercept other forms of digital messaging and see what they are saying. I say this because I know of some code nazi's that are strongly opposed to using readers or keyboards to send and receive morse code, I too am opposed to keyboard code, but since I'm terribly out of practice on the code, and wasn't very good when I was last active, this reader will be a good aid in not only getting me back to speed, but also improve my sending and receiving since it will enable me to get on the air waves much sooner with the confidence to engage in QSO's with other HAM's, and that's what it's all about....getting on the air and doing it....;)

Now before the finger wagging starts, I'm not going to use this device as a substitute for learning to read code, :

I am not wagging just trying to assist you. I used to be proficient at 20 wpm ++ and I was opposite to you. I started with a SK and noticed how my friend with an electronic keyer and paddles was beginning to outpace me both sending and receiving. To send fast code and to send it well (ie minimal errors and proper spacing) I think you started correctly. That is with an electronic keyer and paddles. I also know of many contesters who utilize keyboards for sending and logging contacts but sounds as if you did not want to go that route. Do not take this the wrong way, but if you would have had more discipline wrt controlling your sending speed and patience then your receiving speed would have built up over time if you would have kept at it.

Building up your receiving speed. Just like the one poster said, I think the best way is to first just associate sound with a letter/number. Nothing else but sound with a letter/ number. I will still run through the alphabet picturing the letter while I pronounce the sound. Once you have the sound = a letter/number down pat (ie absolutely no errors allowed) then it is time to practice. If I am driving, I will use morse code to spell street signs or business signs. Watching tv then do the same for words that appear in commercials. Another great help for me was ARRL on the air code practice as well as cw qsos and cw contests. I still have a programable electronic keyer that has a feature of simulating a contest. You can either respond to calls of cq or call cq on your own and vary the speed. What was great about that was the faster you would send the faster the reply. I bought that around 1980 and it was new technology back then so there has to be a modern equivelant. I wonder if your reader has something similar. You can also write down a qso that you are listening to and if your reader has a memory function just use it for instant feedback to how well you copied what was just sent.

Hope some of this helps. I also had common Q codes(qrz) , abbreviations (bk to u om) and punctuation memorized. If you stick to it it will happen.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.