• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF antenna for mobiles

They are very popular in the Middle East with Military, PMC , and commercial users. They are basically bullet proof, they are also pretty big (don't let the name fool you). Expensive but they work great. I guess with the wars winding down they are looking to sell them to amateurs now. They make a very cool NVIS antenna that looks like a roof rack. They do look pretty good on a Mercedes G-Wagon, if you can afford a G-Wagon $1500 for an antenna is chump change. Company has a You-tube channel even shows the development process with all the failures. Here's a couple of videos.

http://youtu.be/c95wjBnat0c

http://youtu.be/8D9LwhZErao

Last edited:
They are very popular in the Middle East with Military, PMC , and commercial users. They are basically bullet proof, they are also pretty big (don't let the name fool you). Expensive but they work great. I guess with the wars winding down they are looking to sell them to amateurs now. They make a very cool NVIS antenna that looks like a roof rack. They do look pretty good on a Mercedes G-Wagon, if you can afford a G-Wagon $1500 for an antenna is chump change. Company has a You-tube channel even shows the development process with all the failures. Here's a couple of videos.

Stealth 93-series mobile HF antennas inside look - YouTube

NVIS Loop Antenna made simple part 2 - YouTube

Thanks Hutch, that's what I was asking. I'm always intrigued by new technology... doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. :whistle: Really enjoyed the "real world" tests... <singing> throw your antenna in the air, and break it like you just don't care!

I read a post recently about back packs and man-packs, and M42Duster had said there was a lot of new cool stuff coming out of the military. Gotta love spin-off! That made me curious about this antenna.

Brett

I use a Tarheel II with a Diamond K400 mount. Works 80 through 6 Meters and cost about 1/4 the cost of the unit you're looking at. Do the math and look at the specs.

Reactions: 1 person
Deja vu... Hutch posted that one already. :)

I have to reiterate... I don't want to buy one of these, so stop telling me I'm stupid for wanting to buy one. :LOL: Still hopeful that there will be some spin-off from the latest technology that is out there. My microwave oven is thanks to the space program, after all!

Brett

Wow! A mobile version of the CHA-250B!:whistle:

(Or the Maxxcom, for us OFs...)

Except for the fact that it is actually a cross between a screwdriver antenna and a SteppIR with a built in SWR sense and controller and not just a bit of metal with a lossy matching section.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.