• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hf dipole antenna question

I just found a 500ft roll of 14 awg stranded copper wire on ebay for a buy it now price of $33 dollars plus $12 dollars shipping so I think i'm going to get it shortly and just build mine own fan dipole antenna like you guys said.Will this wire work for antenna building?I wanted to ask another qeustion if I build my own fand dipole what type of balun should I use.Thanks for the information you guys have been giving me.

You dont need any balun. I know this goes against the grain of many, but dont use one. I have built too many wire antennas and never saw the need. Just wire and coax. Solder well, and work the world. KISS.

I'd recommend using RG8-X instead of RG-213 for a dipole. That's going to be a lot of weight in the middle and if it's only supported on the ends at 20', the antenna could probably also double as a clothesline.

My 80/40 trap dipole has been fed with about 80' of RG8-X for years without a hitch.

And right, you don't have to have a balun.

Rick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.