• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Hidden" Feature of the Magnum OmegaForce S45

kb7obw

Jun 10, 2009
When the Magnum OmegaForce S45 radio is in the 10-Meter "default" mode (CON 1 or CON 2 jumped), pressing the "Function" button and then the "LCR" button will put the word "RPT" on the display with the Repeater Access Tone of 88.5 Hz (like other similar Magnum models such as the M-257). This feature, along with "SHIFT", is sometimes needed for the FM repeaters at the top of the band.

What's the Point? This feature was not printed under the "LCR" button on the face of the radio nor was it even mentioned in the Operating Manual. It is printed on the face of the M-257 and mentioned as a feature in that Operating Manual. A significant "oversight", I'd think (or am I "nit-picking"?). Time for an Owners Manual addendum? I guess only a ham would have noticed the omission.

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know it. I have mine in the All-Freq mode so I have 11 meters. The 10M repeater offset function works and I don't know of any 10M repeaters using the PL tone. All of the major ones are open.

Thanks

CON 2

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know it. I have mine in the All-Freq mode so I have 11 meters. The 10M repeater offset function works and I don't know of any 10M repeaters using the PL tone. All of the major ones are open.

Thanks

You're welcome.

Why I like "CON 2" is because you have both "default" and "expanded" mode. When the radio is turned off then on, it will "default" to 10-meters only ("legal" mode) with all the functions. When you push "Function" and then hold down "Call" for about 3-seconds, it will enter "expanded mode". Repeat the procedure or simply turn it off and on and you're back to 10-meters with all the functions again! I don't know if you are aware of that feature too.

73's

Robbie

Last edited:
I use 11 more than 10 so CON 3 is more convenient for me, no extra button pushing required.

Thanks

That's not a bad idea - though. I think I might set my OmegaForce like that and try it that way for awhile. Couldn't hurt to try. Besides, when it is in the fully-opened mode, I can't access the repeater offset freq's. The way that KB7OBW suggests keeps all of this radio's versatility intact.

Thanks for that tip...

I guess only a ham would have noticed the omission.

Definately a radio aimed at hams,
faggoty blue display,built in offsets,
built in echo to make you sound retarded,
all mode talkback so you can give yourself an audience,
two meters,one that reads semi sensible for when your illegally operating on 27.555 and the other which gives constant 5/9 reports for contesting on 10m.
top gun modulator so your tom cruise personality can get a shot too,
last channel recall incase you forget your a ham and start enjoying 27.555 to much.
switchable bleep so you can pretend to be a cb'er on 11m then act normal on 10m,a bit like slagging off cb'ers at the ham club then firing up on 27.555 the next day.:headbang:headbang
MARS compatible for talking to other spaced out hams on.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

no self respecting cb'er would be seen dead with one let alone notice the repeater offset was ommited:thumbdown::thumbdown::laugh::laugh:;)

Don't knock one - unless you've tried one.
Unless you enjoy your 'sour grapes'...

Simply put, this is easily my favorite radio to date, and I've got a decent collection. Not to forget, the ones I've owned in the past - too. They are making some fine radios these days. The SSB function on this radio is xlnt...AM is bodacious w/D104-TUP9...don't use the roger beep...Echo is very clean/great when turned down low and turned off when on SSB...make skip contacts with ease and collect tons of flowers...you should try one if you haven't talked yourself out of it already...

I got mine used and already set up. I use it in 10 meters and get xlnt reports. So what if it is blue, it is easy on the eyes and easier to read.

I consider myself very savvy to electronics, especially anything audio. (Used to have a small but successful recording studio 10 years ago) Did a LOT of research before I bought it, and grabbed it when I found one. Right move - too...

Reactions: 1 person
Definately a radio aimed at hams,
faggoty blue display,built in offsets,
built in echo to make you sound retarded,
all mode talkback so you can give yourself an audience,
two meters,one that reads semi sensible for when your illegally operating on 27.555 and the other which gives constant 5/9 reports for contesting on 10m.
top gun modulator so your tom cruise personality can get a shot too,
last channel recall incase you forget your a ham and start enjoying 27.555 to much.
switchable bleep so you can pretend to be a cb'er on 11m then act normal on 10m,a bit like slagging off cb'ers at the ham club then firing up on 27.555 the next day.:headbang:headbang
MARS compatible for talking to other spaced out hams on.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

no self respecting cb'er would be seen dead with one let alone notice the repeater offset was ommited:thumbdown::thumbdown::laugh::laugh:;)

An excellent review, thanks jazz.

An excellent review, thanks jazz.

I'm waiting for him to review the A-99.

dsc00374_small_434.jpg

Yeah our...friend...over there across the pond is a real hooty hoot. Hey! Let's critique the Queen of England for him.

"Hey! Let's critique the Queen of England for him"

if you get stuck for words jazz will give you all the help you need and then some lol

Yeah our...friend...over there across the pond is a real hooty hoot. Hey! Let's critique the Queen of England for him.

hey,if you wanna critique the nazi royal family feel free,being a scottish republican i can give you some informed guidelines,pmsl.

Shes almost as popular here as your new president is over there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.