• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High Performance AM & SW Portables

radiowave

Oct 27, 2007
East Coast (USA)
We are not just another typical dealer. We have a passion for the AM and shortwave bands, we appreciate portability and we know the products we offer. Our knowledge of our premium product line is our key to every day customer satisfaction. Look for our ad soon!

Last edited:

I prefer my SW radios to be table top models that do not have telescoping antennas or run on internal batteries and have good filters built in to them. My Kenwood R-1000 has served me well over the years as has the RX side of my Icom IC-735 which has an absolutely wonderfull receiver and filters. Too bad no one makes them like the R-1000, Icom R-70/71 or Yeasu FRG-7770/8800 or even the older JRC rigs.

I realize this thread is old but I was just thinking of my old Sony ICF 2010 portable http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0841.jpg it may not have been the best SW on the block , but I sure had fun with it ! Getting rid of it in 1997 was a big mistake on my part . It got me into inverted V's and long wires , I had a blast with that thing ! The strangest thing happen to me at the time though , It turned out that I really got into AM DX'ing , you know , where you just use regular AM radio , I was marking down the times I would hear the stations and then send them confirmation on it and they would usually send me radio station goodies and things like that in return , I had one of those books that come out once a year or so, that have all the addy's of radio stations in them ,(forgot the name of it) I got a nice powered AM loop that also did a great job ! IM getting ready to do this again in the near future , I just received a CCRadio/Sangean http://www.ccrane.com/images/large/ccradio-plus-black.jpg about a month ago , this one will take care of my AM needs. It's no damned wonder IM not a Ham by now ! just seem like I end up doing everything else but . Go figure.

Ah yes,the World Radio TV Handbook. Was that the book? That was the bible for anyone serious about SW or AM broadcast DX'ing. I also used to like to DX the AM broadcast band,probably because I was a broadcast engineer for many, many years.I remember hearing stations on the AM band as well as the longwave band from all over Europe and North Africa as well as a couple stations in the Middle East and Iran. The low power local stations in Central America were always a good catch.

World Radio TV Handbook .....that's the one ! Looks like I need to buy me a new one. My X boss bought me the first one , he's a Ham and lives by Mole , been meaning to ask him if he knows ole John ?

Do the $$ SW's do better than a HF rig?

I have one SW RXer, a Radio Shack 398 (Sangean 909) I got at a pawn shop with the case and manual for 20$. It seems to get MW better than my MKIIG.

It may very well RX MW better. Most ham gear has reduced sensitivity in the MW band so as to help out with rejecting broadcast station interferance. Nothing quite like trying to dig out a rare contact on 80 or 160m and all you hear is the local spin jockey playing the latest and greatest thing that passes for music nowadays.Remember that ham gear was meant to be connected to usually large and efficient antennas while portables were meant to be used with an internal ferrite bar antenna or a short telescoping whip antenna.Now having said that,I have never seen the need for high gain on the lower bands including MW due to the noise and interferance. Better filtering is much more effective than gain down there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.