• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR's

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
I have a horizontal dipole up my band width was as follows:
1:1 SWR bandwidth of .470 MHz

1.5 SWR
Bandwidth of 3.350 MHz

Now it's @1 MHz at 1.5.1 and @2 MHz at 2.0:1

When I added a GU 6-160-5KW balun and took off the cheap balun I had on. But when I added the GULI 6-160-5KW line isolator the SWR's climb way way up pegged swr meter. I placed the GULI 6-160-5KW line isolator 18" of coax under GU 6-160-5KW balun. Any suggestions what I did wrong and why it jumped so high?

Could be the line isolator or or other connector is bad. Sounds like your dipole was functioning fine without it in the first place. If you feel the need for a choke just wind some coils of coax just below the dipole feed point. Google "ugly balun". You don't really need a choke or line isolator with a resonant dipole.

Could be the line isolator or or other connector is bad. Sounds like your dipole was functioning fine without it in the first place. If you feel the need for a choke just wind some coils of coax just below the dipole feed point. Google "ugly balun". You don't really need a choke or line isolator with a resonant dipole.

So having both is redundant?
How would I check to see if isolator is bad ?

I would first check to see if it has a short and an open connection with an ohm meter.

Ok was not sure if ohms meter would I take it if it is not zero it's bad or what? Oh and thanks for the responses... I learn a lot when someone is willing to share help and teach you learn so much more from people in real life than in some articles.

Update checked all hmm everything checks out fine guess do not need to put an isolator inline with a balun hmmm

Both of those devices look to do essentially the same thing. At $69.95 each that's one expensive dipole!

So basically use only the one and the isolator can put into line with my I-max 2000 and the other just add wire and leave be huh? So far as I stated I am using 10awg electrical stranded 600v wire.

I build my Baluns like those out of 1/1/2" pvc. If you took turns around the eye bolts then attached the bitter end to the lugs on the balun the dipole is essentially the length of the distance from the lug to the first turn on the eye bolt this would explain the high SWR. You must run a pig tail from the Lug on the balun out to the elements ahead of the eye bolts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.