• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home-Brew Galvanized Steel Antenna Mast

W6UFC

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 20, 2013
Riverside, CA
Spent around $100 bucks overall, considering the following items are included, figured it was a good $100 to spend overall at Home Depot.

Call this ugly thing the "Trash Can Tango Antenna"

4 sections each of (1 inch DIAMETER by 48 inch long) Galvanized Steel Pipe.
3 couplers, 1 inch of course to tie them altogether, duh...
1 base plate coupler, 1 inch thick - this bolts to the wood described below.
1 wood base - I have mine so it's equal what the trash can diameter is.
1 Rubbermaid Trash Can
6 rings (wire section of Home Depot, usually 1-1/2 inch.)
Various wire, usually 300lbs to 800lbs "strength" is what works best for weight.
2 wire clamps - (wire section, again), these will be used to secure wire, you screw them with wire and make a loop using these. they have two screws just to note.
2 locking/unlocking clamp screws, these allow things such as rings to be connected, they look like long letter "C", but you can make em look like a letter "O" once the screw is connected to the top and bottom, which is attached to the units.

Took around 2 days to do this project, but if you have spare time will take you around 10 minutes..

Hardest part on my end was hooking a ladder up to a patio area covered in some bunk wood, but it was completed non-the-less.

Also, keep in mind that since this was Galvanized Steel, it's going to last quite a while - put it this way, the OSJ-144/440 ontop will break before the mast does.

Another piece of advice is to drill some holes in the bottom of the Trash Can, due to rain or other liquids that WILL be present.

This overall project can be expandable to include guy wires (kind of what I was testing and ended up doing on a short term as you can see in the video below).

And yes, concrete or bricks will suffice as a base within the Trash Can, but pouring concrete could work too, or adding a bunch of horseshit can work as well (I don't have access to the later but if you live in BFE you have to work with what you have on hand)

Here's the video, of the "Tango" in operation. Yes - I suck at video.

Antenna-OSJ144-440 (Completed Installation) - YouTube

Last edited:

Sure hope you meant 1 inch DIAMETER, because if it was 1 inch thick it would have weighed a ton. LOL

Fixed, thanks for pointing that out..lol

Actually, it was pretty heavy on the solo effort - as two sections plus ANTENNA were put together while on a ladder.

This 'MODEL' of Antenna can be structured to fit any type, HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL/DIPOLE - almost anything that needs a mast or clamps..you can get creative I'm finding out with different couplers- though since I have only one radio it's not worth the effort at this time frame to go out and throw up a 25 foot / 62 Element Antenna, though this "MODEL" of pick/add-yer-parts allows such flexibility when using the basic principals of such antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.