• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do I start?

albln

Nov 15, 2010
I hope this question does not seem too trivial. I have operated in SSB voice for some time and i am ready to give digital modes a try. So i have a couple of questions:

What are modes are often found other than CW? I assume PSK 31, maybe still RTTY? Anything else?

I would like to start by listening and decoding first for a whole to get the hang on these modes. Do I need a TNC for this? Or can I just plug the audio from the headphones into the sound card in the computer?

Is there a better way? For the record I have a Yaesu FT450....

Any sites recommended for a digital beginner?

Thanks so much

Al

If you've gone through those sites, you've already found out several ways of 'getting started'. The 'easiest' way is by using a computer and your radio. That depends on what you may have on hand, naturally. Using the sound card as a TNC is a very common way of doing things. The hardest part that I've ran into is doing the cabling necessary to get the signals from the radio to the computer and back to the radio. Since you're dealing with RF, and since computers generally don't like RF, that can get interesting! :)
I think the effort is worth the trouble though. It certainly isn't impossible, and there are several 'free' computer programs on the internet that will at least be a start for you.
Try it, you might like it!
- 'Doc

I'll resurrect this old post. I think the original poster wanted some recommendations on good sites and time savers. I downloaded FLDIGI to deal with all the data I'm hearing but can't get it to decode much(only some cw). How do you tell what type of data and how to decode it by listening to it? I tune in and go through all the types in FLDIGI but nothing!

decoding

Check the rxid in the right hand corner, also down on the right hand side check rev, that should work for you.
Telling the different modes...plenty of web sites for samples of what each sounds like, but after a while you will be able to distinguish what they sound like. Make sure you have your ft450 set up right for digital, if it is like ft857, go down the menu and find around packet<forgotwhat one>, rtty.,psk etc usb,lsb etc, dial up user-up, you should be ready then,when ur ready to xmit, watch your alc, needs to be zero no output, digital gain around 15, digital vox around 40....
Let the gang know how it turns out.
DOCTOR/795

psk 31

I hope this question does not seem too trivial. I have operated in SSB voice for some time and i am ready to give digital modes a try. So i have a couple of questions:

What are modes are often found other than CW? I assume PSK 31, maybe still RTTY? Anything else?

I would like to start by listening and decoding first for a whole to get the hang on these modes. Do I need a TNC for this? Or can I just plug the audio from the headphones into the sound card in the computer?

Is there a better way? For the record I have a Yaesu FT450....

Any sites recommended for a digital beginner?

Thanks so much

Al
check out this you tube --this guy has about 4 videos-- very good
Introduction to PSK31 - Receiving - YouTube
i use a Donner interface and DiGiPan2.0
DIG. INTERFACES : Donners Country Crafts and Digital Interfaces, Quality Merchandise - Friendly Prices
check these items..good luck WD4FCJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.