• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do I tune OUT local AM radio station interference?

The New Guy

Oct 30, 2009
I've been scanning for years and recently bought the $200 Sony SW radio. Ran a 100' antenna along by fence, and grounded (amateurishly) by tying the end onto a metal rod that's banged 2 feet into the ground.

Now the reception increases dramatically after grounding it (which someone advised me to do), but now the local AM station down the street over powers the whole band that I am trying to listen to (around 3800 khz). When I scan, it comes in every 10 khz, which is driving me so nuts, I put the radio down and don't even try.

Please help me to get rid of the interference
I have heard of a device that you put inline on the antenna, and tune into the station that is interfering, and it will send it to ground. Ever hear of it? Recommend it?

I cannot run 100' of antenna anywhere else but along this fence, so if repositioning it is the only way, then I'm sol.

There are such thingys, but they tend to be bit expensive and not really all that easy to use, they require adjustment.
I'll also bet you didn't have this problem before doing that grounding. That's where at least part of that unwanted signal is coming from since you're so close.
Another way of getting rid of the interference is by using a tuned 'stub' to null it out (sends it to ground sort of). You caught me on one of my less than perfect 'memory days'. Can't remember if the @#$ thing is an open or shorted stub. I'll bet someone with a better memory jumps in (I hope, or Ill have to go look the @#$ thing up!). They deal with harmonics, which is the 'regular' noise every so many Hz/Khz/Mhz.
Your antenna may be -part- of the problem but that can usually be 'worked around'. If there's no chance of changing it, you'll have to live with the results of that 'work around', which are not going to be 'perfect'. But that's certainly better than now, ain't it?
Hang in there!
- 'Doc

Hey NG,

Too much antenna for the little portable. They don't have the greatest front ends in the world and that 100' wire is bringing in a LOT of signal and in a wide-banded way. You see wire antennas for SW portables come in 23' foot lengths; I have one from Radio Shack like for my portable. I reckon someone has done some figuring and came up with that length. So I'd recommend trying a much shorter piece of wire. Don't cut your 100 footer necessarily....take another piece and try it.

Good luck

Hey NG,

Too much antenna for the little portable. They don't have the greatest front ends in the world and that 100' wire is bringing in a LOT of signal and in a wide-banded way. You see wire antennas for SW portables come in 23' foot lengths; I have one from Radio Shack like for my portable. I reckon someone has done some figuring and came up with that length. So I'd recommend trying a much shorter piece of wire. Don't cut your 100 footer necessarily....take another piece and try it.

Good luck

Yes, I agree that the antenna is to long resulting in AM bleed over big time. :eek:

Thank you for noting that my wire is too long, thus, plucking up the longer frequency of that bleeding station. Thing was, I connected the 23' antenna, and it wasn't good enough for me.. guess I thought I was going to hear bundles of ham operators singing into their microphone rocking my mind to sleep, but no. That dream is almost gone. But not completely!
I shall be brave and cut the my antenna down every ten feet till it's gone.
But before I do, I will call Industrial Communication Engineers, LTD.
and see what they can do for me.

'Doc'. You made me laugh buddy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.