• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how many folks use a anti-oxidant on your antenna ?

how many folks use a anti-oxidant on your antenna ?

• never used any

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • use it every time

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • tried it , didn't like it

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • i use it if i have it .....

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

BOOTY MONSTER

just curious .........

for those that don't know what a anti-oxidant is or how it can benefit a antenna heres some info on anti-oxidants .

CB World Informer February 1997 Issue - Emperor TS-3010 Review

USING ANTI-OXIDANTS TO ENSURE GOOD CONDUCTIVITY

Anti-oxident compounds are not a new invention or idea in the pursuit of good integrity or longevity of joint connections that make up telecommunication facilities. But their use has been popularized and improved in recent years with the advent of synthetic lubricants with wide temperature capacities and improved lubricity. Many important connections in radio and television work can be easily compromised overtime by water condensation and vaporous atmospheric chemicals. When dissimilar metals are used in direct contact the effect can occur faster and with greater severity, especially outdoors. Examples of common trouble areas are ground terminal connections, radial system connections, RF connections, and even the bolted joints between stacked tower sections.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using dissimilar metals in direct contact. But if the joint is exposed to air, or if the joint commonly passes a great amount of current then the oxidation that occurs in the metals will accelerate and eventually the connection will fail. It may even heat to a point where the metals melt or burn.

An anti-oxidant performs two critical functions. First, the anti-oxidant compound material placed in the region between the two metal conductors seals out air and moisture. The use of synthetic lubricants in the base compound ensures that the material is not miscible with water or other chemicals and cannot be driven out. The second function is that modem anti-oxidants are electrically conductive under pressure. This is accomplished by mixing copper, aluminum, lead, and/or graphite flakes in the 5-10 micron range into the lubricant vehicle and then applying the compound to the surfaces to be joined. The addition of metal particles into the mixture also creates a heavy compound which is more difficult to displace by weatherization.

The application of anti-oxidants is simple and easy. Both the metal surfaces to be joined should be cleaned and then either brushed with a wire wheel or emery paper. The ridges cut into the metals in this process are actually beneficial, and the scraping also ensures that bare metal is reached before anti-oxidants are applied. The compound may then be applied by any convenient means (brush or finger). Work the material around a small amount and don't be afraid to use the compound in a liberal manner. Remember that filling the air voids in the contact joint is a critical necessity. Any extra compound will squirt out the side when the metals are joined together, and it's easy to scoop up the excess and push it back into the original container for later use.

The next step is tighten, tighten, tighten. Make sure the joint connections are plenty tight and that hardware will not back out in use. A weather covering is a good idea to help prevent external corrosion and to help keep hardware from moving. Washing down the outside of the joint with alcohol will drive off any excess anti-oxidant compound.

Use different compounds for different types of jobs. For copper-to-copper or copper-to steel joints use a copper-loaded anti-oxidant such as our Model 601 Series. For aluminum-to aluminum or aluminum-to copper use a complex compound such as our Model 602 Series.

Anti-oxidants have no rated shelf life so they may be stored in virtually any location or condition. Just be sure to stir the mixture before use to assure good mixing suspension of the metal flakes inside.

Sensible use of these compounds offer a high degree of reliability and long term satisfaction to users who want serious results in telecommunications work. ©CBWI

I have been using Noalox on all my aluminum antenna joints for a dozen years or so. I got tired of having one piece of tubing seize inside another piece. If you can keep the joint 100% dry then it's not a problem but how often do you succeed in keeping 50-100 joints 100% dry on a large yagi? BTW I also have to contend with salt air occasionally here so seizing of element tubing can be a real PITA.

Fortunately my climate is usually warm, sunny, and dry, or I would certainly use an anti or conductive grease on the joints.

Now, if they would only silver plate those joints...

its pointless to use anything here when your less than a mile from the ocean. darn salt in the air. iv tried Noalox with no success:(

I've had great success with this stuff. Especially on coax connections and antenna element joints. Available from GC ELECTRONICS. Not affected by salt air.

GC Electronics
Click on SPECIALTY CHEMICALS, and scroll down.

Silicone Dielectric Compound
Soft, inert silicone grease with excellent dielectric
properties. Usable over a wide range of
temperatures. Its consistency is vaseline-like and
it is white opaque in color. It provides an
excellent dielectric coating which excludes
moisture and prevents high voltage arcing.
Applicable to components in the high voltage
section of TV receivers. Protects ignition systems
in automobiles and boats, in addition to providing
an outstanding corrosion resistant coating on
exposed metal surfaces, such as TV antenna
terminals as well as general rustproofing. This
compound also makes an excellent lubricant for
rubber or plastic.

Part No. 10-8101
1 fl. oz. Tube

N.S.N. 6850-00-268-7963

Part No. 10-8102

1 gal. Can

Part No. 10-568 1/3 fl. oz. Chem-O-Jector

I use the silicone grease on all my feedpoint connections and have for many, many years. it works GREAT for mobile applications. I just use Noalox for the aluminum connections on base antennas.

Anti Oxidant

We purchased our anti oxidant at Lowes and use it on all my antennas.
Makes it much easier to take apart as well as maintaining solid conductivity.
When we bonded our mobile antenna setup with the ground straps all of the ground points had anti oxidant applied.

We had a friend of ours who had a screwdriver antenna for 10-80 meters that had a intermittent ground . His swrs keep jumping skyhigh. We found a rusted star washer that was replaced with Stainless steel and we redid his connections for him on ground straps and his problem has never appeared again after using the anti ox paste .

Nice topic

I dont think I ever had an antenna that was made of dissimilar metals, only time I ever use nolox was at work on copper grounding bars or grounding copper clamps to galvanized guy wire.

i like it because it's water proof and prevents possible corrosion .
if nothing else ... for a few bucks and a little time it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling (y)

Hey folks, using nothing between aluminum joints, as in the tapered sections, is probably not a good idea due to water and corrossion issues.

Just be cautious that using some of these products in coax connectors as recommended here, which have conductive properties, might not be a good idea.

I don't recommend it, but maybe a dielectric solution in the joints of some tapered tubing in antenna construction is not so bad, since AC current flows along the surface of the tubing, but there is a big difference between conductive and dielectric solutions.

I use a product called Stuf, made by Cross Devices, in coax connectors. I have found it to work very well, and is not messy or permanent as applied.

I also use Pentrox, which is highly conductive, as a lube in my antenna joint connections, and it too is effective and not messy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.