• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How many watts through a Texas Star amp when bypassed?

skiman1

Aug 28, 2014
Hey there, a question I don't think I've seem come up, how many watts can I put through a Texas Star amp (or most amps) in bypass mode? Is there a way to tell if not stated?

I have a Yaesu FT991A radio that I use with my 667 on SSB, running 10w PEP, puts out a nice clean 500w PEP. Flip side is I like to run barefoot/radio only when chatting with locals or when DX conditions tolerate at 25w to 80w max and wondering if the amp is still in line, but off, will it hurt it?

I bring up this question because I looked one of the newest RM Italy amps, the KL703, and they advise the max to run through it in bypass is only 50w as shown below.

Input RF Power: 1-35W max (All modes)
Output RF Power: 500W max
Maximum bypass power (Amplifier off): 50W max

Thanks for any insights!

Last edited:

They may say 50 watts max because they're worried about frying the keying transistor. Most likely you won't have any problems, but if you do it's a cheap fix.

I would be very careful running a 667 with that radio.
The 667 is not that stable as it is.
If you forget to turn the power down on the Yaesu and key hard into that Amp it will cook the chokes that keep rf out of the bias.
If it starts oscillating and stays keyed up when you un key the radio, it is possible it will back feed into the radio and cook a bunch of components in the front end of of your very nice rig.
This has happened before.
I have seen the results and it is costly.
It has also happened with the TS 500 as well.
I strongly recommend not running these style of amps with HF Radios.
At the very least I would disable the keying in the amp and key it with the radio, but I really recommend you just don't use them at all.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.