• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to build a frequency standard?

Hmm well it doesn't make much sense to buy a peice of equitment that costs more to check then the peice of equitment you are trying to check. I just heard you buy a 10 dollar crystal and make a frequency standard to make sure your counter is on target. No? gotta buy a 500 dollar standard?
NIST Equipment certifications don't come cheap and aren't for the hobbyist. It costs $1,500 to get an HP8920a certified below 30 megahertz.
calibrations@nist.gov

Reactions: 222DBFL and Tallman
Yep. Having things calibrated by a lab grade company for sure isn't cheap at all!! I know that from experience as well!!
I had a Calibration Lab in one of my former employers facility. We had to have a way to check our equipment due to flight safety concerns. Just a big pain in the backside. The FAA was always sticking their noses in every crack of the shop looking for calibration expired stickers. I almost got an ulcer just trying to keep up equipment calibration much less quality control.

You know I know the feeling. Calibrate this and then that is due for calibration LOL!!
And when I was a cell site tech our Antirtsu's had to be constantly calibrated and also phase cables bought as we had some rough handed guys LOL!! Like I said, I promise I know the feeling. As a matter of fact you reminded me I need to calibrate my Altimeter test set LOL!!! Thx!!

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I worked in a Navy Calibration Facility, repairing and calibrating switchboard meters, VOMs (Simpson 260/PSM-4 era), General Radio Sound Level Meters - quite a variety of equipment. When our standards needed calibration, the Level 2 facility was just about a half mile from the shop. I got to work there on temporary assignment a few times. When the Level 2 stuff had to be calibrated, they had to ship it down to Pomona CA to the Level 1 lab, and THEIR standards had to be shipped to the NIST lab. Basically, what was generated there was paperwork, but paperwork that proved the pedigree of everything I calibrated back in the Shop 51 Cal Facility. Traceability to NIST is the important thing; nothing made by human hands is "perfect" in and of itself.

You can use TCXO. 0.5ppm @10MHz is good enough to calibrate frequency counter.
Mike

The one I bought for my TS480 was 6Hz out. At 28MHz that would mean it could be 18Hz out. At 56MHz that goes to 36Hz, enough to be a problem on data modes especially JT65, WSPR and the like. At 145MHz it is now 87Hz out, at 435MHz the middle of the amateur 70cm band its now 261Hz out and causing you issues on narrow band modes.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.