• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how to fix off freq

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
i got this new to me ft-101e today i had a chance to test it on 38 lsb. i did the clarifier voltage adjustment according to the guy on youtube and online service manual the other person said i was off frequency
so i dial him in with a clarifier in the off position and ended up being on 27.3829

There are two trimpot adjustments. One is just behind the clarifier and sets the "off" frequency to match the 12 o'clock position of the clarifier knob. This one routinely gets oxidized and scratchy, just like a crackly volume control.

The other one is on the plug-in power supply regulator board that's on the inboard side of the final compartment. It's labeled "zero" and is used to set the transmit frequency equal to the clarifier "off" frequency. This trimpot is also susceptible to becoming oxidized and noisy. A drop of control cleaner usually quiets it down.

Don't underestimate how much the clarifier on/off switch can also affect this when it gets noisy.

There are two trimpot adjustments. One is just behind the clarifier and sets the "off" frequency to match the 12 o'clock position of the clarifier knob. This one routinely gets oxidized and scratchy, just like a crackly volume control.

The other one is on the plug-in power supply regulator board that's on the inboard side of the final compartment. It's labeled "zero" and is used to set the transmit frequency equal to the clarifier "off" frequency. This trimpot is also susceptible to becoming oxidized and noisy. A drop of control cleaner usually quiets it down.

Don't underestimate how much the clarifier on/off switch can also affect this when it gets noisy.

thanks yes i did them already so that part is all done now i need to fix the off-frequency part

The off frequency part is fixed by doing what Nomad 2600 described above. The zero pot is what aligns the receive and tx to track together. If it's not where it should be you will hear the person you tune in good and when to transmit you will be off. Best way is to connect freq counter to rear acc socket where factory display connects. You see what it reads in rx. When you flip mox switch it should read exactly the same. If it's off a touch you will be off when you transmit. You use the zero pot on regulator board to set it. Only after both clarifier pot and that pot have been cleaned and moved back and fourth. And radio has been on for a while.
I'm using an external freq counter at the moment from the back of the radio rca says rf out sitting at 3.62 volts with the clarifier on or off i just bought the Yaesu YC-601 Digital Display to make it easier but i won't see it until 2 weeks from today now lsb freq is 27.3835 right and USB 27.3865 ???

The update got er all fix re did the boards with an eraser and then wipe them with an alcohol swab and re-check the clarifier voltage on point 3.64 thanks for the replies

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.