• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to mount my tower

MUDDOG7375

Apr 6, 2005
OK..I have my 50 ft tower now...Now the big question...Whats the best way to mount it in the ground??..I know I need to get a base end for it..But whats the best way to mount it??..Just dig a hole & fill it back in?? or Dig a hole & fill with cement??..How deep should I go??

Thanks for the advice..

MUDDOG

</p>

ROHN TOWER

THIS IS WHAT I DO WHEN I PUT UP A ROHN TOWER I GET 3- 3/4X 5FT GALV PIPE I DIG A HOLE ABOUT 3X3X3 AND I TAKE ONE SECTION OF THE TOWER AND MAKE A IMPRINT IN THE GROUND WITH THE TOWER. THEN I TAKE THE GALV. PIPE AND WHERE I MADE THE IMPRINT AND DRIVE THE 3/4 PIPE IN THE GROUND ABOUT 3FT AN I MAKE SURE IT'S LEVEL WITH A LEVELER. THEN I TAKE 2X4'S AND MAKE A CUBE ABOUT 3FT HIGH AND I POUR IN THE CEMENT. THEN I PUT THE DIRT BACK IN AROUND THE CUBE .BEFORE IT DRYS I PUT THE SECTION OF TOWER OVER THE PIPE AND I LEAVE IT THERE BUT DON'T PUSH IT ALL THE WAY DOWN. AFTER IT DRYS I POUR A SMALL PAD ON TOP TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THE TOWER IS JUST SITTING THERE. THEN AFTER ALL THAT I DRILL 2 HOLES IN EACH LEG OF THE TOWER AN PUT THE SCREWS TO HOLD THE SECTION DOWN SO YOU CAN ADD THE NEXT SECTION WITH A HOME MADE GIN POLE I USE A 15FT POLE AN ATTACH IT TO THE 10FT SECTION WITH 3 U-CLAMPS. AND A GOOD HEAVY DUTY PULLY AT THE TOP AND A GOOD SIZE ROPE TO PULL UP THE SECTIONS.

MUDDOG7375,
One of the better guides I've run on to has been the construction manual for Rohn Towers. When I got my copy they were only a few dollars (not quite so cheap anymore). They are more of the safety/engineering 'point of view' so seem like they might be 'over-engineered' a bit. They are NOT over-engineered by any means!
Towers have a lot more force acting on them than most people ever know about (or believe, for that matter). The old, "This will work as good as doing it ~that~ way.", thingy is fine, IF you don't mind doing it again later, after repairing whatever the thing fell on. A small hole and a couple of bags of 'quick-crete' just won't 'do' it. It's like comparing the tower to a 'see-saw'. The force of the wind on one side, the weight of the concrete on the other. If the concrete side doesn't stay down all of the time, one of those 'times' when it doesn't means the tower will come down. It really isn't that simple but that'll give you the idea anyway. All tower manufacturors have minimum specifications. Find out what those are for your tower, and remember that those are the 'minimums', more is better.
Can't tell you exactly what you should do cuz I have no idea what your tower is, and my memory isn't very good anyway (loaned the @#$ 'Rohn' manual, haven't gotten it back yet). That's the best advice I can give...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.