• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How would you spend $1000 on freeband stuff?

This site, this forum, this subsection, the users are pissing me off! This guy is looking for freeband stuff for 1k$. NOT HAM CRAP! :censored:

I mean freebanding is like the "counter culture", naked women face plates, ghetto bright blue LED back lights, super "secret" mods to allow to talk on those "quiet channels" that nobody uses, echo mics and playing music and sound recordings in fun and jest, modulation and swing, welcome to freebanding! :pop:

Sure he would be better off going with a ham rig, but there is just something special (in a crappy/nostalgic sort of way) with Export gear.:headbang

My how this forum has changed. :thumbdown:

Thank you for all the help everyone. Mack Me and my Brother in law had a good laugh over your comment (He is a delivery driver for Miller) But we decided to do some shopping today and this is what he decided on and I think this will keep him happy but he will have to learn the radio a little. He sat and read EVERY review of radios on CBradiomagazine.com after I suggested the site and decided he wanted a RCI 2950 DX and a IMAX 2000. He had no idea what amp but kept seeing Texas star so a DX400 was ordered I gave him 100' of LMR400 and a Pyramid PS21 power supply with the agreement I would get it back someday. He ordered a Pyramid PS42 to run the amp. All of this was ordered from my local shop and he should have the amp and power supply by Tuesday. So far we have the radio hooked to the small power supply and the coax and antenna up. The antenna is chimney mounted on his roof on a 10 foot mast. He lives in a 2 story so this is maybe 60' to the base of antenna. SWR is 1.1-1.2 across the legal 40 and we ran out of daylight so we had to stop. I am trying to get him off the radio and on the forum but I think he has the "bug":w00t:my sister is going to kill me!:eek: He is Larry 708 on SSB but can't seem to think of a AM handle.

This site, this forum, this subsection, the users are pissing me off! This guy is looking for freeband stuff for 1k$. NOT HAM CRAP! :censored:

I mean freebanding is like the "counter culture", naked women face plates, ghetto bright blue LED back lights, super "secret" mods to allow to talk on those "quiet channels" that nobody uses, echo mics and playing music and sound recordings in fun and jest, modulation and swing, welcome to freebanding! :pop:

Sure he would be better off going with a ham rig, but there is just something special (in a crappy/nostalgic sort of way) with Export gear.:headbang

OK, for your "need for speed" in the export realm

FOR SALE RANGER RCI 2950DX WITH EXTRAS - YouTube

cb radio dx skip RCI 2970n2 channel 6 0 1 28 2010 - YouTube

the 400 uses 2290's for pills and they are 60 watt devices ..... keep it under 250ish PEP and it should do fine with the 42 amp PS

WHAAA, :LOL:.

So you don't want him to be "better off"? Lotta help you are. Maybe "special" as in the Olympics?

Why willingly subject yourself to shitty equipment for the same price?

Cobra 148 GTL DX / Superstar 360 FM, President Jackson, President Grant, Stalker 1X, President Lincoln. Take your pick, match any of them with a half decent amp (100w or over) and a good antenna and the world is your oyster, not to mention they will all sound as good or better on air as any budget or even in many cases mid priced ham gear.

of course you could also buy a second hand kenwood ts50, but it really isn't necessary to buy an hf radio to work dx, only people with substandard antenna systems would subscribe to that mentality. A decent antenna will allow dx on ANY radio.

Cobra 148 GTL DX / Superstar 360 FM, President Jackson, President Grant, Stalker 1X, President Lincoln. Take your pick, match any of them with a half decent amp (100w or over) and a good antenna and the world is your oyster, not to mention they will all sound as good or better on air as any budget or even in many cases mid priced ham gear.

of course you could also buy a second hand kenwood ts50, but it really isn't necessary to buy an hf radio to work dx, only people with substandard antenna systems would subscribe to that mentality. A decent antenna will allow dx on ANY radio.

Second hand TS-50's can still be had, but not as cheap as they once were. On ebay anyways... Crazy high prices.

I have had several over the years. Guess I should have kept one.

My fault the PS is a 52 amp and I must of fat fingered a key. As for a handle he is going by Beer nut. After playing with his radio I keep thinking of buying a 2950 myself and getting rid of my 257hp. As for the comment earlier about freeband being echo and music playing and crap, If you where to ask me I would be the first to yell you I don't use echo I don't use roger beeps and I don't use sound toys. There are some out there that do but that's not me. It may piss you off that I am not interested in ham gear and for that I'm sorry but I don't want to go further than 40 down and 40 up from the legal 40 11 meter channels. I also don't talk AM very often maybe 2 times a month. What I don't get is the Ham operators who rag at us about getting our license and talking all over the bands but are also the ones who are first to convert their ham rig to be able to tune in to 27.385 LSB but then tell me it's wrong for me to expand a cb to get extra channels. I'm sorry I'm ranting it's been a long day but please don't lump me into a group and judge me.

Most serious freebanders don't use an AM handle nor operate on the freeband with one.
I thought this thread was about the freeband; not about AM nonsense.

Some Hams will go on about those who modify radios. Most of them don't care what CBers do. Just so long as they stay off of the Ham freqs and don't make interference, they look the other way. Perhaps even use .385 from time to time too . . .

Seldom listen to .385 now that the solar cycle has really kicked in. It was OK when there wasn't so many out there last year and before. Now it is a real mess. Many freeband operators don't know how to use the radio to its best advantages. I hear the proof of that all the time. There is a lot more to it than just turning on a radio and keying the mic. Many operators know very little about using the freqs in a way that makes their time on it really productive. Some can. Many don't care. 10m Ham really does smoke the freeband and the CB channels in so many ways.

Just no comparison - really.
This might all sound uppity; but it is really just an observation/evaluation made over the last month of using both the freeband and 10m.
Just too many newbees out on the freeband.
However, the real vets of the freeband really know their stuff - for sure.

Oh yeah; one newbee out on the freeband has been out there singing.

As far as equipment goes - suit yourself.
Try them both side by side and then you be the judge.
I will disagree about the choice of radios for using though; the Ham rigs are just better.
Heard but a few operators out there that knew how to use a non-Ham radio - and they did all right.
But I wouldn't say that they are just as good as a Ham rig - uh uh.

Last edited:
if i had a thousand bucks to blow on radio junk?

i would wait for a local hamfest and look for a boat anchor and haggle the price down as best as i could...

and then visit my local hardware store and buy a couple of 500 foot rolls of #10 stranded copper wire and build a 160 meter loop

i would wait for a local hamfest and look for a boat anchor and haggle the price down as best as i could...

and then visit my local hardware store and buy a couple of 500 foot rolls of #10 stranded copper wire and build a 160 meter loop

And just what would that do for the guy this thread is about that wants to freeband?? :blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.